what is the best regular oil on market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Citgo Supergard and Mystik have shown some darn good numbers on this board. Seem like very good oils for the money.

mr

offtopic.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
(for those of you who are too young for Crystal Green Persuasion to make any sense to you, go to your favorite search engine and input "Tommy James and the Shondells" and look through the song list.)

Crimson and Clover? It sure ain't Mony Mony!
grin.gif

I would vote for Havoline

My work trucks that my employer leased had to use what was available and cheap at the quick lube places. I cared little for Pennzoil and QS and used the Havoline. Never had any problems with any that ran that brand and we went 5000 miles between service and idled our vehicles a lot. Never used oil. One of the other Survey Technicians was a Pennzoil fan and his truck (2002 K2500 Dudge PU) always used several qts of oil between changes while mine (1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban) rarely used any.

Our credit cards would not allow synthetic oil, leased fleet vehicle and costs were controlled by Wheels, who had to authorize all work.

I would vote for Chevron Supreme and Pennzoil basedon formulation and what we see in. Both are (at least mostly) made with Group II+ base oils and have similar (moly+boron) additive packages.

Havoline is supposedly the same as Chevron Supreme. This would make sense after the buyout/merger but I'm not sure this has happened yet.

Pennzoil High Mileage would also be a top pick.
smile.gif

If you don't mind looking around some, Schaeffer makes a great mineral oil and there are 10W-30 versions of both Chevron Delo and Penzoil Long Life which would be great (stronger additive packages).

--- Bror Jace

yes, delo 10w-30 is hard to find. only diesel 15w-40 oil around here. I actually went to chevrontexaco website and clicked on the "where to buy" I clicked on my state, there was only one place that sells chevron supreme in my state and it was in West Memphis, Arkansas. About 30 miles from me across the river. I went to his site and he sold citgo, schaeffer's, and Chevron supreme. three oils in person I've never seen before. I emailed him and he told me that he doesn't have delo 10w-30 but he could get it for me. The pics in his website show the oil only in pails and drums. that's a little too much for me. Being the oil freak that I am, I'm considering it. I don't even have space for an oil drum.
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by bigdog:
...the best 10-30 regular oil...

I am going to assume from the above you want a regular Dino PCMO (Passenger Motor Oil). This means no HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil), No Synthetics, No Blends, and No High Mileage Oils.

In alphabetical order:

Castrol GTX, Chevron Supreme, Conoco Hydroclear, Havoline, Motorcraft, Pennzoil.

Just pick the one most available to you at the most affordable price. They are to close to call.

Gene

Maybe we should re-visit Phillips' base oil Trop Arctic brand. On the container its states that TA is made from premium additives and highest quality Group II base stocks. So....is Trop Arctic primarily/only a Group II?

It sells everyday at Wallyworld for $1.04. Maybe a sleeper here?

Valvoline is a decidedly mediocre oil that barely meets API specs. It works ok but for the same or less money you can have a better oil such as Chevron Supreme, Havoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State or Motorcraft.

Brett, OOOuuccchhh, Boy did i just learn something. Motorcraft and Quaker State better than Valvoline.. I never would have believed it. I guess I need to get that Valvoline out of my brand new truck...WOW what a shocker. i suppose there is some hard data on this site to back-up your claim. (not that i don't believe you:) I came here because you guys are the experts.... By the way, I guess people that DON'T know use Valvoline !!!!

Given that you are going to use a reasonable oil change interval (3,000 to 5,000 mile depending on driving habits), most any API rated SAE SL oil would serve you just fine.

From a general reading of the posts on this board I see Pennzoil conventional oils getting a lot of "good reports".

Many happy miles in your new truck.

quote:

Originally posted by 2004 F150 4x4:
I am new to this site but find it alarming that no one has metioned Valvoline. Is that bad oil? I have used it for years with no problems.

I use a lot of Valvoline, mainly Maxlife and Durablend. Have two excellent UOAs on Maxlife posted on this site. I suspect Durablend would do as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
I agree with Jelly. Pennz followed by Texaco/ Chevron.

Then look where they sell it.
Here CarQuest usually sells it... among some others... BUT if you just go to your nearby Truck shop supply store fuel depot or whatever.... they carry these oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back