What is the best oil for my 04 Cobra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I'm new here! Hello everyone. So-I want to explain, but don't want to take all night. I had a '87 monte carlo ss, In '95 I got a great deal on a '95 LT-1 out of a t-boned corvette with 2k miles on it. I put it in the monte used a '93 pcm reprogrammed and with upgrades, and had a corvette 700 r4 built, that chirped in 2nd and 3rd-I loved that car, after 150,000 miles on that motor I took it to the track and still did 13's. so after 200k miles from this motor and 100k from the original, and dealing with me for 10 years, I crushed the body, and sold the engine trans and rear. With that LT-1 I went through 2 transmission rebuilds, and replaced the rear 3 times, the last being a 3.42 grand national (orig was 3.73) And I swear that 3.42 was what that 700r4 needed to get in the 12's, well never took it, so I'll never know, but it felt quicker.

So whats this got to do with my '04 cobra? The only oil that ever went into that '95 LT-1 was____------------5w-30 Mobil1.
225+k miles on it from me, and I joke not, almost everyone of them the pedal halfway or to the floor, gas was less than $1.50 back then and I didn't care. That motor is now in a '32 ford and the only thing he did to it was clean it up and replace the seals while it was out. He still puts 5w-30 Mobil 1 in it.

In '97 I got a Cobra new and used mobil one in that, though at 56,000 miles something went on in the engine? It would start to surge at 5600 RPM's and two Ford Cobra certified mechanics wanted to go inside, I sold it.

In 2004 I bought another Cobra and at 2k miles switched to mobil one and at 15k miles was totaled by a stolen car in 2005.

Since then I've bought all kinds of cars and got rid of them, including a '06 GTO that I really didn't like, sold after 3 mos. The quickest I ever got rid of a car! none have seemed to "get me" as the Monte Carlo SS did or the 2004 cobra. I was going to go after the '07 Shelby, but the price is ridiculous. I've been to several dealerships trying to negotiate on a '08 with no luck. Although I did get them down to MSRP about 6 mos. ago, but the finance guy (JERK) p me off and I walked out-glad I did.

My wife pointed out there was a beautiful white 08 shelby at Carmax with >2k miles on it. So we went and took a look. I drove it and was impressed, I got on it, and it was sweeet. The carmax "order taker" turned a little blue, but didn't squirm.

I also saw a '03 Terminator. Wow I thought, What other time could I drive them back to back? My mind was made up halfway in the test drive, with the carmax "order taker" extremely blue, squirming and in need of a bathroom to clean himself up, I said to my wife, "what the ____ have I been doing for 3 years? I thought I wanted something, but just wanted what was taken from me by the actions of a thief, Ford got it right in 03-04, why in the world would I pay this, when I could find a real nice one of those for less than half the price and be even more happier"

Six months later I found a Mystichrome with 8k miles on her without any engine modifications, in near perfect condition. I already started her with Royal Purple, A friend sold his mustang and gave me the oil, so I see in test results royal purple is good, some tests show mobil1 is better, and most show amsoil as the best? After that '97 Cobra engine did something? I'm kind weary, though I know the '95 LT-1 is still going, it just might be bullit proof? What is the best oil????? Thanx Scott http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/6159/limit/recent

Motorcraft full syn 5w20 or 5w30, or else German Castrol. are the heads quiet? i know yours is an 04, however some of them have had the head tick problem on the drivers side. also look at doing one of the head cooling mods. any major mods planned?

Lots of people on these boards have had great success in their vehicles with Pennzoil Platnium and the Regular Dino Pennzoil. Not sure how it will work for your Cobra though...

No mods planned, all the info i've read points to the early '03's with the tic. This motor is just like brand new. The shifter was changed to a short throw, bassini x pipe with high flow cats and borla stinger exhaust-she's loud. Also a mac cold air intake. I need to get under the hood and see if he changed the Maf, the mac I saw looks like the one with the higher maf, and without a tune have read it may make it run lean and damage the engine. Other than that she's stock- I may-MAY or may not change the pulley and do a tune? I've read it's good for a 100 h.p. at the rear wheels and she's already got the exhaust and intake needed for that. I cant remember, but I believe that tune will bring her down from 12.7 in the 1/4 to a z06 hangin 11's? Whatever I do do,lol, I want to be able to put her back to stock. Ya know that maf thing I need to look into, because I specifically remember reading a tuner's warning on changing that without a tune. gotta check tomorrow. For s and giggles that 50k$ shelby only runs 12.8 in the 1/4 mile!and the 70k$ king of the road is 12.9!

I've read racing oil doesn't have any detergents, I don't wanto go that route, a good 3-5k mile oil is what i'm looking for.

http://www.mustangblog.com/index.php/2008/video-2008-shelby-gt500-vs-2003-svt-cobra/

This video at 5:10 says it all

My buddy Paul, Mustang Tuner, ran M1 5w30 in his 750-850RWHP (depending on tune) '03 Cobra. It was converted to twin-turbo with the HP turbo setup.

M1 5w30 is also what GM is running in the new ZL1.

I would say that if you've had luck with it in the past.... to continue using it.

the tick under the TSB only applies to terminators build before 11/03, however i have personally seen 04MY terminators with it.

bet the x with stingers sounds awesome. it would be ever better without the cats, but almost too loud. if you do do the pulley, get one of the cooling mods for the back of the drivers head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back