What is the Best Oil Filter on the Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, there has been a lot of discussion on quality of different brands of filters as of recently. What do you feel the is the best constructed filter and why? Every aspect of the filter can be used in your judgement. The only aspect I would like left out is cost. Not looking for the best value.....looking for the best.

Unlike oil, we can actually gauge the quality of a filter....

What about other factors, like rated efficiency, rated use interval (holding capacity), cost and availability?

Throwing all of those factors in also, I think the Fram Ultra is the overall best filter on the market right now.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
the Fram Ultra is the overall best filter on the market right now.

+1

I'm a fan of the Wix. Awesome construction.

I'm not too worried about published efficiency numbers anymore. If Toyotas and Hondas can last so long on ~58% efficiency factory filters, ANY filter is probably efficient enough.

For "cheap" filters, I like AAP's Driveworks brand. They are built extremely well.

I won't be using a Fram Ultra again. Take a look at these pictures, especially #s 6 & 7:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3370361/4

Aside from the hole, note the strands of loose media sticking through the wire mesh. I wonder how many of those came loose and went into Mom's bearings and oil passages.

I've got some Wix XPs I'm using now and I will be examining them VERY closely for the same kind of thing. If any of the glass fibers look to have come loose from the main body of media, I'll switch back to cellulose filters and never look back.

Last edited:
Fram Ultra.

99% efficient at 20 microns

The only dual layer synthetic media filter on the market

Consistent high marks with used oil analysis backing up the high efficiency ratings

Not sure what you guys are paying for your Ultras but my XG3980 is only $6.24 on Amazon.

Also has a silicone anti anti drain back valve which is what you want on any high end filter.

Amsoil and Royal Purple synthetic filters are also extremely robust and high efficiency although they choose a single layer of media and cost more.

Wix. Coil spring instead of a leaf, and top end bypass with a quality filter media.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
For the money Motorcraft!

Recognize that screename from f150online forums...
wink.gif
I use OE brand filters; Motorcraft for my ford, Nissan for my Nissan, Delco for my GM

Last edited:
Mahle.

Every time, every application, you simply can't beat Mahle for build quality, life span, % efficiency, there is simply nothing else on the market that comes close.

What is the efficiency and life span of the Mahle filters? Is it better than 99% @ 20 microns per ISO 4548-12? I don't think I've ever seen it published anywhere.

Id say Fram Ultra, for the $ and ease to find it... However some might say depends on what oil you use... I think FRAM ULTRA says made for Synthetic oil... however it says good for conventional.

Again, I have used FRAM ULTRA and when I cut it open i was surprised how well built it was... Only thing is that bypass, but It must do the job.

I say FRAM ULTRA.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Mahle.

Every time, every application, you simply can't beat Mahle for build quality, life span, % efficiency, there is simply nothing else on the market that comes close.

Ditto, plus I have had good experiences with Mann and Hengst.

Regards, lim

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What is the efficiency and life span of the Mahle filters? Is it better than 99% @ 20 microns per ISO 4548-12? I don't think I've ever seen it published anywhere.

You really feel that way about MAHLE ???

look at the pics at this one.. Brand new cut open... I was shocked and Im sure you might be.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3385873/%5BCut_Open%5D_-New_Mahle_OC715#Post3385873

DSCN0444_zps92141387.jpg

mocoman70...096547.jpg.html

DSCN0437_zps554c1daf.jpg

Looks much diffrent then the one they open on you tube....
at least the MALHE REPS open on you tube....

Originally Posted By: lim
Originally Posted By: Olas
Mahle.

Ditto, plus I have had good experiences with Mann and Hengst.

Regards, lim

MANN is good, They are not the best or anything..... at least oil fitlers...

However Mahle...

look at this... and it looks much different then the ones the MAHLE REPS cut open on you tube.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3385873/%5BCut_Open%5D_-New_Mahle_OC715#Post3385873

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mahle filters that Olas comes across for European applications are much different than the ones we come across for Japanese and American applications, just like with Bosch and Mann. The Mahles I've used were for an Audi and not quite the same as what we just saw.

The "best filter" is the one that satisfies or exceeds OEM operational conditions, is easily attained, for the lowest cost in relation to ROI.

ANY brand can (and will) have a failure.
MOST brands offer a "good; better; best" product line. Buy what satisfies your needs (or wants).
ALL brands strive to succeed in the market place, whereas they balance the cost of operation against the satisfaction of the customer.

The FU would never be "best" if my OCI were 3k miles on a Vulcan 3.0L engine.
The lowly discount filter from brand "X" would never be "best" if my objective were to put it on a sludger Toyota engine and run it for 10k miles.

Without knowing the conditions to operate under, and discuss which is "best", is only to have half the question.

Really? Like we need yet another one of these threads?

Last edited:
Come on! We all KNOW FU is the BEST even though we can't compare it to anything as you suggest. Not to worry. Next month something else will be "the BEST!"

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The "best filter" is the one that satisfies or exceeds OEM operational conditions, is easily attained, for the lowest cost in relation to ROI.

ANY brand can (and will) have a failure.
MOST brands offer a "good; better; best" product line. Buy what satisfies your needs (or wants).
ALL brands strive to succeed in the market place, whereas they balance the cost of operation against the satisfaction of the customer.

The FU would never be "best" if my OCI were 3k miles on a Vulcan 3.0L engine.
The lowly discount filter from brand "X" would never be "best" if my objective were to put it on a sludger Toyota engine and run it for 10k miles.

Without knowing the conditions to operate under, and discuss which is "best", is only to have half the question.

Really? Like we need yet another one of these threads?

Without laboratory testing, it comes down to confidence. I have confidence in Mobil-1 and Bosch Distance Plus filters. I would not hesitate to run a Fram Ultra, either. My wife's minivan has one
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back