What is the Best Oil Filter on the Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cooper
As for this topic..... Nothing has been said to change my OPINION that Wix is my preferred filter for my apps.

There you go. There's absolutely no need to change a thing. From my perspective, I like the construction, the cost, and the availability, and that covers just about everything.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Let me ask you, with cost being no object and no operational bounds set, the following:

What's the best audio stereo speaker?
Pioneer Elite in wall and in ceiling speakers and free standing sub, yes, my opinion and why I own them.
But none of these will do well in my boat. They won't fit well and they will likely degrade from the moisture.

What's the best tire?
Pirelli Cinturato P7
I don't think they make that tire in a size for my one-ton truck. Actually, I'm positive they don't make that for my diesel truck. Not only won't it fit, but even it if did it does not have a load rating sufficient for my towing needs.

What's the best computer?
MacBook Pro w/ Retina
It won't fit in my pocket. And it's loaded with features I simply don't need to read my email.

What's the best outdoor deck material?
treated cedar
That won't satisfy my environmental quest to use recycled materials. And it cannot bear the load for the span I intend to run.

What's the best cut of meat?
filet mignon
Not for my daughter who won't eat red meat. And I'm pretty sure that my dog only cares if the meat had parents.

What's the best topic to toss about to waste broadband width for useless internet discussion?
oil, of course
Odd - I feel it is filters ... but you might be right about the oil.

I presume we'll agree to disagree?

I don't really agree with the sarcasm and insults, no. So, for my part in that, I apologize. But, I do agree it is okay for us to be here for our own reasons and those reasons should not make a difference to others if it is beneficial to the forum.

As for this topic..... Nothing has been said to change my OPINION that Wix is my preferred filter for my apps.

In no way am I trying to get you to stop using Wix. I, myself, use many of their products. But what is it that Wix has the other quality branded products don't?
Their solid, robust can is found on other brands.
Their glass-enhanced media is duplicated by others.
Their silicone ADBV is certainly not unique to the brand.
Their coil spring is used by many other marketers.

I'm trying to get you to understand that no one NEEDS this topic re-hashed for the 1000th time here. What you consider "beneficial to the forum", I reason to be, well, silly. If this were the first thread to ever discuss this topic, then I'd say perhaps there were some merit to it. But this horse cannot be beat any more and still be recognizable as a four-legged creature.

Most all of us regulars here know what it takes to make a decent filter. We also can acknowledge what "upgrades" may be present to turn a decent filter into a premium filter. No one here is unaware of the market offerings; they can learn this sort of rudimentary stuff from any filter maker's website.

Asking what filter is "best" is ridiculous if you don't confine the question. Until you define how a product is to be used and attained, it can never be declared as "best" with credibilty.

To be very clear here, I am not saying that "best" does not exist. For any specific application, after thorough testing, perhaps "best" can be concluded. But only after one views all the choices in regard to any conditional and operational parameters. I am not directly stating, or even implying, that your selection of Wix is wrong. I have no idea how you use them and what they cost you. You likley have put forth criteria in your decision process that makes the Wix products the answer for you. Nothing wrong with that. But it's kind of like knowing the test answer, and then being able to write the question after the fact.

I will grant you one thing that is underlying and only has been implied, but I'll bring it into the light directly:
This place is becoming like Facebook. Lots of members here want to tout their opinion, with little to no evidence to back up their position, as if my daily world "benefits" from your casual conversation about the inane. That kind of stuff belongs on FB and Twitter. Unfortunately, the site is becoming over-run with those who favor and value "opinions" rather than facts, analysis and sensible applications thereof. I am a stalwart; I lurked here long before I joined in 2007. I can recall the heady days when this was about experimentation and reports consisting of solid data, not feelings and opinions. But, I have become the minority. So for that, then I, too, owe everyone an apology. I do not mean to be rude. I guess I just have a higher threshold of what this site at least was (past tense) to be about. This is not to be a personal attack on you, but a charge of general demise of the breed, so to speak.

I joined this forum in the beginning of 2006. I still have some Elvish Green GC that I use in my lawn mower. Those days are gone and a thick 0w30 was the best there was for a long time. Now it is thinnest is in. I do very much follow the technical aspects of oil, the changes that have been made over the years, and the changes that are coming. The one aspect that seems to never change is filter technology. Synthetic media is really nothing new, nothing about it is new. I have always liked to watch the sway of the opinion of the masses, and that is why I start posts like this occasionally. To see the trends, to see opinions, and maybe, just maybe find a change in the evolution of filter technology.

Honestly, mostly boredom with a stale forum in a particular day.

Very true there are other filters besides the Wix brand that meet the same criteria. The one difference that has helped make my choice of Wix is the bypass valve. I like the bypass really bypassing the trapped particles by never washing over them, or at least not as much.

I currently use either Motorcraft or Wix. I have used Purolator, Fram, Champion, AC Delco, and even some brand that I never heard of before or since.

If in doubt use factory recommended filters and that is the "best" advice I can offer for spin on rock catchers.

In practical use it does not matter but for some reason members on here have to have the "best". I am certain the "best" is far from defined.

Only thing I don't like about Wix filters is that relief valve arrangement where it sits on top of the element metal to metal. Never trusted anything like that not to leak oil at forty or fifty psig or higher. I haven't cut one open in a while, but I suppose they still have the same design. Am I correct in assuming that oil pressure is the same on both sides of the bypass during normal operation and no leakage occurs either way?

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Only thing I don't like about Wix filters is that relief valve arrangement where it sits on top of the element metal to metal. Never trusted anything like that not to leak oil at forty or fifty psig or higher. I haven't cut one open in a while, but I suppose they still have the same design. Am I correct in assuming that oil pressure is the same on both sides of the bypass during normal operation and no leakage occurs either way?

The bypass valve (and its "seal") only sees the delta-p across the filter media .. which could be as high as what the bypass valve is set to open at (12~14 psi normally). But in normal operating conditions, the delta-p across the media (and bypass valve) will typically only be 3~5 psi.

I use Motorcraft as that is OEM for all Fords, and is a well-receive, sub-$4 filter.

Best filter to use? First consider your price point, OCI, and then go from there.

The best filter in the world would undoubtedly be a $10+ oil filter that go for an extended OCI or meet racing specs. But that filter is absolutely not cost effective if you are more in the realm of a 5k OCI. Look at your usage first, and then find the filter to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back