What is the Best Oil Filter on the Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the Purolator drama, it's Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra for me. That might change but for now until further notice those are my two picks.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Really? Like we need yet another one of these threads?

Absolutely we need these types of threads! When the forum starts to get stale and topics get slow, we need topics like this to jump start it. It gets people talking about oil filters and what is preferred for their application, and isn't that what we are here for?

I agree with DN3...what's the point of this thread? We already have 8 different answers, so that tells me either the measurement criteria are flawed, or the very premise of the question is flawed.

As Dave said, the "best" filter is the one that provides the greatest ROI, but how are we to determine that? Multiple long-term dynamometer testing on identical engines? How many Crown Vic taxis have reached 400,000 miles using whatever filter the fleet operator bought that month? Would they have gone 500,000 miles if they used a "better" filter? At some point the law of diminishing returns comes into play.

All of the filters mentioned have excellent reputations, so using any one of them should give the same results.

For the record, Motorcraft IS the best filter.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sir1900
The best filter is the one that offers *the* best value for the average 5000 mile OCIs.
In other words, whatever is the cheapest.
End of story.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
The only aspect I would like left out is cost. Not looking for the best value.....looking for the best.

So no, not end of story. It may be the end of story for you, but not for this thread. Thanks for trying.

Absolutely we need these types of threads! When the forum starts to get stale and topics get slow, we need topics like this to jump start it. It gets people talking about oil filters and what is preferred for their application, and isn't that what we are here for?

Isn't that what a search engine is for? Any NEW information will be posted (ie the tear-o-later recent debacle), otherwise all of this has been hashed again and again. Just like "best" oil. When the Fram Ultra came out and took notice, there were many threads on that discussing it. We don't need a "jump start" thread to bring up all of the same information we've had (and is accessible via searching) available already.

The best filter is the one that offers *the* best value for the average 5000 mile OCIs.
End of story.

The only aspect I would like left out is cost. Not looking for the best value.....looking for the best.

So no, not end of story. It may be the end of story for you, but not for this thread. Thanks for trying.

You're Welcome. However, you cannot discount the cost factor because that weighs heavily on the decision making process. How exactly do you define "best"?

End of story.

You're Welcome. However, you cannot discount the cost factor because that weighs heavily on the decision making process. How exactly do you define "best"?

Honestly, for me, cost is not a factor in purchasing an oil filter. Cost IS a factor for most things in life for me, but, not an oil filter.

Think about the cost of an oil filter over a year. I use two a year. If I spend an extra $5 a year on a better oil filter, I guess that is one less happy meal for me. Honestly, not a big factor.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Isn't that what a search engine is for? Any NEW information will be posted (ie the tear-o-later recent debacle), otherwise all of this has been hashed again and again. Just like "best" oil. When the Fram Ultra came out and took notice, there were many threads on that discussing it. We don't need a "jump start" thread to bring up all of the same information we've had (and is accessible via searching) available already.

I guess just a difference in personality. I disagree but respect where you are coming from.

I actually do have what I feel is the best filter for the cost in use on both of my vehicles. Wix. But, since I have been thinking about the real cost of an oil filter over time, I am hashing it out again.....

So, hence the reason for the thread. I haven't seen anything to make me switch at this point. Fram Ultra would be the only other option, but only for the Honda.

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What is the efficiency and life span of the Mahle filters? Is it better than 99% @ 20 microns per ISO 4548-12? I don't think I've ever seen it published anywhere.

You really feel that way about MAHLE ???

Feel what way? I was just asking the guy who said nothing beat it in efficiency and life span to show me what the efficiency and life span ratings were for the Mahle filters.

The "best filter" is the one that satisfies or exceeds OEM operational conditions, is easily attained, for the lowest cost in relation to ROI.

The FU would never be "best" if my OCI were 3k miles on a Vulcan 3.0L engine.

It would if you used it for 5 OCIs to get 15K out of the filter, then each "cost" of an oil filter per OCI would be ~$2. Or even 3 OCIs for 9K would make the filter "cost" ~$3.50.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Also, with over 1000 views of this thread in 16 hours, I am gonna go with there are a few other people interested in rehashing this out....or at least reading about it.

So, why is the Wix XP not listed here more often? I gotta think it should get some love.... I haven't used one though.

So, why is the Wix XP not listed here more often? I gotta think it should get some love.... I haven't used one though.

50% efficiency @ 20 microns might have something to do with it.

I don't exactly understand beta ratios......so, how do we get 50% at 20 microns from B2=20 beta ratio?

Also, nominal micron rating of 15 and a beta ratio of 2=20?

I don't exactly understand beta ratios......so, how do we get 50% at 20 microns from B2=20 beta ratio?

Also, nominal micron rating of 15 and a beta ratio of 2=20?

The way WIX does beta ratio date, B2 means "Beta Ratio of 2", which is 50% efficient. The "20" in B2=20 is the micron size.

So, B2=20 means 50% efficient @ 20 microns.

Beta Ratio -- Efficiency %
2 -- 50.0
5 -- 80.0
10 -- 90.0
15 -- 93.3
20 -- 95.0

Wix has muddied the water with their recent adoption of the 2/20=6=20 white washing of data, except it got even worse with the rating for the XP line ...
I now consider their site nearly worthless for info when it comes to efficiency data.

I find it silly to fiddle with some theory about "best" when real world data reveals two things we cannot and should not ignore:
1) the typical OCI is short enough that contamination does not ever get to levels that are grossly significant; the sump is not dirty enough to show disparity between choices
2) the typical FCI is short enough that a large amount of unused potential is thrown away; having more capacity that is not utilized is not helpful by any measurable means
Therefore, why worry about which has the "best" efficiency, or capacity, or construction when the VAST majority of folks will NEVER leave one on long enough to make any difference. Unused potential is waste; having a super-duper filter that you never run past where a normal filter can perform is not "cheap insurance", it's waste. How does that equate to "best" filtration? Unless your definition of "best" is the "best waste of my money" ...

I have run M/C and Purolator classics for longer than some of you would ever dare to run a premium filter; the UOAs were great and the filter disection showed no ill effect.

Cooper - it is a bit disingenuous to say cost is not a factor, but if that is your criteria, then I'll play along ...
The "best" filter is 10 (ten) bypass filters running concurrent in parallel so that their total flow would suffice for full-flow volume. Now, I'll have to fabricate some type of home-made manifold system to mount those in the trunk and plumb it all the way up to the engine. You know, because cost is no object ...
grin.gif

Touche. Good come back on the cost thing dnewton3. Honestly, it really doesn't matter much for most of us as long as the filter media stays intact! Most OTC filters w/ silicone ADBV are on my list of filters I WOULD use. But, that being said, nothing has showed me that there is a reason to sway away from regular Wix or NAPA Gold filters. I will continue using them.

.The "best" filter is 10 (ten) bypass filters running concurrent in parallel so that their total flow would suffice for full-flow volume. Now, I'll have to fabricate some type of home-made manifold system to mount those in the trunk and plumb it all the way up to the engine. You know, because cost is no object ...

Or just run microgreenfilter.com, a spin-on parallel filter setup, no mods required.

Also, dnewton3, remember that we often want the best filtration because its cheap and nobody has convinced us that getting more particles out is a bad approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back