What is the best 5w30 oil I can buy at Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Best synth disregarding price?

2) Best synth factoring in price?

3) Best Dino/Blend disregarding price?

4) Best Dino/Blend factoring in price?

1. M1EP or Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Ultra.
2. whatever has a rebate
3. PYB, at least for now since it's the only one with ILSAC GF-5 rating.
4. Probably still Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, though Valvoline has a rebate that could make it cheap.

Last edited:
Don't know what "best" is if we don't know the usage, what vehicle, history and such.

Not knowing that;

1. Pennzoil Ultra
2. QS syn with PP close 2nd
3. GTX/Pennzoil conventional
4. Mobil 5000 / QS conventional

Bill

Its just out of curiosity, but i will probably be using the #2 choice for both cars in my sig, an impreza and an elantra w/ 2.0 dohc.

I like bepperb's list, but what is PYB?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
the least expensive

the supertech full synth for $17 caught my eye, considering most other synths were $20-$23 for 5 qts. You think its a good bet?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Don't know what "best" is if we don't know the usage, what vehicle, history and such.

Not knowing that;

1. Pennzoil Ultra

Bill

Shooting for 6k intervals on the hyundai and suby (they are commuter cars). 4-5k in the truck (its a commuter as well) and 2-3k in the camaro (doesnt get driven often and when it does get driven its all fun)

motorcraft 5w-30 blend, not all walmarts may stock, but my local store has it in quarts only for 2.88

Stay away from Warren PP too many quailty control problems ... they make Supertech synthetic. Valvoline Synpower is $20.00 for 5 quarts thats an excellent deal.

Originally Posted By: Santo Fontana
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
the least expensive

the supertech full synth for $17 caught my eye, considering most other synths were $20-$23 for 5 qts. You think its a good bet?

Not a bad oil but I'd spend the $1 more and get the QS if you need syn.

Originally Posted By: Santo Fontana

Not knowing that;

1. Pennzoil Ultra

Bill

Shooting for 6k intervals on the hyundai and suby (they are commuter cars). 4-5k in the truck (its a commuter as well) and 2-3k in the camaro (doesnt get driven often and when it does get driven its all fun)

6k with pretty well anything will do you fine in those vehicles.

Bill

i always thought it was heavy duty engine oil but not sure. figure its supposed to have a beefed up maybe more old school add pack. more sheer resistant, on the thick side for its vis rating....might not meet warranty requirements.

Last edited:
1. Pennzoil Ultra - M1 EP
2,3&4. Valvoline Synpower for less than $1/qt at Kragen after $25 rebate. Look for it in Rebate-Sale sub-forum

1. Who really knows?
2. PP, M1 an QS are priced pretty closely. Name your poison.
3. PYB, QS, Motorcraft are pretty close in price.
4. See above.
If you want to choose an oil, just decide what you think you would like, based upon your machines and the UOAs you see here, and build a stash.
There are rebates and oil change specials quite often on any name brand oil. Pick one you like, or just go with the current deal.
They're all good oils which should work well in your engines.

Originally Posted By: zddp77
Stay away from Warren PP too many quailty control problems ...

I haven't heard of this. Source?

Not knowing that;

1. Pennzoil Ultra

Bill

+2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back