What is the bearing metallurgy used in 2001 Audis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got results of my UOA back and there was unusually high aluminum reading, while all other metals were fine.

Latest UOA

I think high aluminum reading might be due to the way oil was sampled but just to make sure I would like to find out what is the 2 and 3 material bearing shell(shown in the image below) made from in this particular engine design?

Car is 2001 Audi S4 with 2.7L twin turbo V6 engine.

Would anyone know this or where could I find this info?

engine.jpg

Audi's have bearings?

In all seriousness, you should probably employ the services of Terry Dyson if you're worried about it.

Personally, I wouldn't get bent out of shape until I saw it on two consecutive reports. 30 ppm isn't an outrageous number.

Many bearings [most] are several layers. I do not know the type of bearings used. Wear numbers increase [usually] as the load increases.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Cu, Al, Pb, Sn

so if there was a bearing problem I would see other metals elevated besides Al

It has bi-metal rod bearings from what the article cited above said, you are much more likely to get rod bearing wear than main bearing wear, and the first metal is aluminum. So it would make sense......

UPDATE:

I was monitoring my coolant level past week and there was no change so that confirms my initial assumption that aluminum and sodium came from improper oil sampling for last UOA :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back