What is the absolute best mainstream full synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask because I have a Ford vehicle with the dreaded 3.5 Duratec V6 water pump. I know some may think this is splitting hairs but in my case I beg to differ. Since I got it at just 2,000 miles, I drained the Motorcraft blend at 4,500 miles and put in Supertech Advanced Full Synthetic and was intending to change it every 7,000 miles but have moved down to 6,000.

Thing is, the higher the mileage goes on the car, the more anxious I get about the water pump failing. I'm at 11,800 miles now and I am deciding to go with the best full synthetic here on out there to do everything I can to help the water pump, not just Supertech. Yes, I am also flushing the coolant, I am about to do my first flush and will then do the flush annually for the rest of the car's life.

My understanding is that Mobile One Advanced Full Synthetic is generally considered the best available oil. How true is this? What other oils are better, and by how much and how much do they cost?

Please excuse my ignorance of the subject vehicle but what does the motor oil choice have to do with the water pump?
The 3.5 Duratec V6 in the Ford Edge and Taurus (and I think Explorer pre 2.3 turbo) runs off the timing chain inside the engine, not outside the engine off the belt. The oil directly lubricates the water pump and touches the outside seals (there are 2 sets of seals on the pump) and the coolant touches the interior seal.

If the water pump fails or leaks, that water goes directly into the oil pan...

24A8A8D9-EF32-4351-BED5-3DA8B3CE6BF6.jpeg

sell the car if you are that worried about a catastrophic failure.

Else use Amsoil signature series and eest confortably that you are using the best possible oil available.

any walmart available oil will be blamed on any failure of the pump in the future even it it isnt a failure,

if the design of that pump is poor no oil will stop it from failing.

The 3.5 Duratec V6 in the Ford Edge and Taurus (and I think Explorer pre 2.3 turbo) runs off the timing chain inside the engine, not outside the engine off the belt. The oil directly lubricates the water pump and touches the outside seals (there are 2 sets of seals on the pump) and the coolant touches the interior seal.

If the water pump fails or leaks, that water goes directly into the oil pan...
That is one of the worst design fails I've ever heard of, and I've owned several BMW's

I'm at 11,800 miles now and I am deciding to go with the best full synthetic here on out there to do everything I can to help the water pump, not just Supertech. Yes, I am also flushing the coolant, I am about to do my first flush and will then do the flush annually for the rest of the car's life.
Flushing the coolant at 11,800 miles and then every year? I vote this as the most OCD post of the year.

Flushing the coolant at 11,800 miles and then every year? I vote this as the most OCD post of the year.
Well, considering the turbos are cooled by it, why not? I've seen so many other posts way worse than that. One I remember is that you only change your air filter just before you dump your oil.

I religiously maintenance my vehicles in general, but the Duratec water pump situation makes it worse. Shame because the 3.5 V6 is a really great running engine, at least in a Taurus. Solid power, great fuel efficiency, and that one fatal flaw that drives me nuts! I can't get rid of the car, it's too comfortable and you can't hardly find a V6 anymore. I absolutely will never drive a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder ever again, they're slow and gutless, and I don't trust turbos.

I religiously maintenance my vehicles in general, but the Duratec water pump situation makes it worse. Shame because the 3.5 V6 is a really great running engine, at least in a Taurus. Solid power, great fuel efficiency, and that one fatal flaw that drives me nuts! I can't get rid of the car, it's too comfortable and you can't hardly find a V6 anymore. I absolutely will never drive a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder ever again, they're slow and gutless, and I don't trust turbos.
So this isn't the ecoboost? Ahh, yes I see now. DURATECH, duh

You can use the best/cleanest oil and coolants on the planet, but that seal will be impacted to a much greater extent by age and mileage. I don't disagree with your attempt to ward off premature failure, but that pump still has a finite lifespan, which will more than likely be around the same age/mileage they all do, regardless of oil and coolant used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back