What is that stuff on the bottom of some bottles of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noted that some oils have some off colored stuff that apparently just settles to the bottom of the Qt bottles. Not being an oil expert and now being in the presence of many
grin.gif
... I have to ask. Is that junk or good stuff?
dunno.gif

In old oil, I'd say it is additives comming out of solution. I've never seen it with motor oil, but always find small clumps of particulates in Castrol gear oil.

No one has ever mistaken me for a smart guy, but I have always assumed that it was part of the additive package. Thus I shake the oil up good before pouring it in. Dunno really.
dunno.gif

I used to see that in white Castrol bottles years ago. I figured that other brands probably had it too, but you couldn't see it because of colored plastic. This has come up on this board before, and I believe one person stated that all additives are blended in as liquids, with none as solids (don't know if this is accurate). I thought of suspension issues, but figured the Castrol specks were simply "dirt" or corrosion matter of some sort, but never knew for sure. I opted not to shake before pouring, based on expert advice from my cat.

WOW We Am I shocked... I have a question that has not had 4 answers so far. I'll bet Johnny knows. Not trying to be a smart *** .. honest... just a simple man with simple questions that need answers.
pat.gif

um-m-m-m-m...pixie dust?
wink.gif
I, too, believe it is some of the additives settling out...like some of the anti-wear, detergent, antacid (tastes like Tums) or extreme pressure agents

For what it's worth, this is what I was told. It is additive sedimate. Most oils do it and it's easier to see in light colored bottles. Most oil companies expect this and add a little extra so the formulation is not affected by this. You can shake it up if you want or just leave it in the bottle. Makes no difference. I know, it bothers me to.

I used GTX twice, and I noticed the same black stuff sitting at the bottom while looking into the jug.
shocked.gif

Since I've never seen anything like that in other brand of motor oil,
I quit buying Castrol...
thumbsdown.gif

Johnny , Pennzoil dino or blend better than Shell dino or blend ? And why ?

Next time you see those clear Quaker State bottles take a look at them . Additive fallout... = 0 on Motorbikes 0-10 additive fallout scale .
tongue.gif

[ February 11, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

I've seen deposits also in M1 old Tri-synth in the 4lt jugs, QS synth a few years back. I opted not to stir it back into the oil, good idea or not..??? me, I dunno...
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Next time you see those clear Quaker State bottles take a look at them . Additive fallout... = 0 on Motorbikes 0-10 additive fallout scale .
tongue.gif

The clear bottles definitely add to the marketing appeal. Means about as much as needing to change your oil because it's "dark."

I wouldn't worry. Some ugly oils work pretty well.

Me been thinking about this after reading all the information offered here and the string from last year. An interesting test would be to send in a UOA on the oil before shaking and than one after and compair results.
tongue.gif
But, at least for me the $40 cost will not permit. Maybe a user here works at a business that does the UOA and can slip in a test like this. The Ab vs B data would have to show something...
cheers.gif

I have rarely seen this sediment, but from experience it is dye that has separated out somewhat due to temperature cycling.

quote:

Originally posted by quick_16:
Me been thinking about this after reading all the information offered here and the string from last year. An interesting test would be to send in a UOA on the oil before shaking and than one after and compair results.
tongue.gif

Better than that would be to save the last 3/4 oz of new bottles after a 5 quart change , mix it altogether then send it a sample .
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I have rarely seen this sediment, but from experience it is dye that has separated out somewhat due to temperature cycling.

I bet it's pretty ugly when the die separates from some Royal Purple
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

I bet it's pretty ugly when the die separates from some Royal Purple
grin.gif

It would help if I spelled correctly. That's dye, not die. But it might look like it died after it separates.

quote:

Originally posted by S2000driver:
What is that stuff on the bottom of some bottles of oil

The Genie's belongings from when she was evicted?

...you might be right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back