What is 'Technosynthetic' oil??

What the heck is 'Technosynthetic' motor oil?

I'm looking for oil for my Honda dual sport moto, Motul seems like the go-to for motorcycle oils, they make two:

1634858618921.jpg
1634858643512.jpg

One of them is labelled as '100% synthetic' while the other (slightly cheaper 5100 series) is labelled 'technosynthese'

I don't like techno music, and I like quality synthetic oil, so I'm guessing the 7100 series is the one for me... but just curious if this is an industry term or just marketing crap to hide the fact it's just a mixed dyno+synthetic blend that's cheaper with no benefits...

Attachments

• 1634858573910.jpg
    1634858573910.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 11
Google is there for you.. first link A trademark of Motul meaning blend.

Technosynthese® is an ingenious combination of synthetic and best mineral base stocks for optimal performance and price competitiveness. Technosynthese® is a registered trademark from Motul.

Euphemism = marketing term for group II/III blend, perhaps with the tiniest of
a drop of group V, just enough to allow for the word 'Ester' written on the bottle.

Thanks for the feedback and answer folks, makes sense.

It's odd that Motul 5100 is the go-to for many people for motorcycle engine oil, and it's got conventional oil in it! Considering how many people are religious about synthetic-only in their vehicles, you'd think the synthetic-only motorcycle oils would be the most common product by far. Especially considering that I think most people baby their motos much more than folks baby their daily driver cars!!

Also, anyone have any rationale for even bothering to buy 'motorcycle specific' engine oil? I'm kinda wondering if filling er' up with Mobil1 synthetic at the right grade would be far better vs this overpriced moto-specific 'techno blend' crap...!

Also, anyone have any rationale for even bothering to buy 'motorcycle specific' engine oil? I'm kinda wondering if filling er' up with Mobil1 synthetic at the right grade would be far better vs this overpriced moto-specific 'techno blend' crap...!

If it is a shared sump. maybe.

Mobil 1 10/40 Racing 4t will serve you fine, it might not be any cheaper though...

Thanks for the feedback and answer folks, makes sense.

It's odd that Motul 5100 is the go-to for many people for motorcycle engine oil, and it's got conventional oil in it! Considering how many people are religious about synthetic-only in their vehicles, you'd think the synthetic-only motorcycle oils would be the most common product by far. Especially considering that I think most people baby their motos much more than folks baby their daily driver cars!!

Quite a rant there. What would the base stock have to do with it?

Quite a rant there. What would the base stock have to do with it?

Sorry, not familiar with the terminology. What is 'base stock'?

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly that conventional oil is not as advanced/protective/effective as synthetic. So just surprised people still use conventional in motos, when 100% synthetic is so popular in cars.

Sorry, not familiar with the terminology. What is 'base stock'?

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly that conventional oil is not as advanced/protective/effective as synthetic. So just surprised people still use conventional in motos, when 100% synthetic is so popular in cars.
Base stock is what the oil is formulated with.

And I guess I just go by approvals or specifications so I don’t really care what the base stock is, whether it is conventional or synthetic. The end performance is what matters. Besides these days the distinction between the two is pretty blurred.

Back