What is so good about German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes German Castrol such a good motor oil? How is it different then American 0W-30? What makes it different then the rest of the America Castrol Syntec line? Why do you think it is better then Mobil 1, Amsoil etc.?

I see alot of GC love here, and have to admit being sucked in a bit to the point that I picked up a case...just because. But after reading all the UOA's and comparing it to M1, Amsoil, etc...I have come to the conclusion...no matter how flawed my view, is that it's a good oil, but not heads above the rest.

Honestly, everything about it is good. Best 0w-30 oil out their IMO. I was hesitant at first but wear numbers are excellent and it holds it's viscosity very well. No one knows what makes it so good. Castrol is using some good additives from some unknown supplier. We are all waiting for it to be broken down.

Hemidart,

First of all, I think SLX (GC, argh! [no offense to anyone else because I think I coined this acronym around August of last year]) is one of the GREAT oils available below $5.00 on the US market today. I believe the UOAs substantiate that. What you have got to understand, and I have tried to make this point before, a lot of the mystique that surrounds the Elixer of Peace, Love and Otherworldly lubrication
wink.gif
is subjective and, with me, tongue-in-cheek. Do I REALLY believe in the stuff...I think the 151 quarts of it I have downstairs (actually one bottle is on my computer desk right now) put my money where my mouth is. But do I also like to have fun with it...most assuredly. See the line about the Elixer etc, etc above. While I am a sold-out American boy, I also love Europe and the fact that SLX comes from Der schöne Kontinent makes it that much more special...and, of course, it is green and there is the gummi bear thing. So for me, it is a package deal. I like everything about SLX but I am glad other people on this board like M1 and Schaeffers and Amsoil and Chevron and Pennzoil and...and I hope they all get great UOAs. But right now, for me there is no other choice. Hope this helps from one guys perspective and from one of the guys who has had about as much fun with this stuff as anyone.

Now in Europe it is called SLX, but the German 0W-30 that people refere to is marked the same as American 0W-30 Syntec, except the "made in Germany" part...right?

Not only does it say it's made in Germany, but it meets alot more specs than the American version. Just compare the back of the bottles and you'll see what I mean.

Why wouldn't the Americans make an oil like this. I've read more Europeans by ratio use synthetic oil than dino. As in the USA I think the ratio is more for dino oil. If the ratio in America was for synthetic oil, would competition force Companies to produce a product like what German Castrol has. And the price of German Castrol is very cheap compare to Amsoil or Redline.

quote:

Originally posted by Mamala Bay:
Why wouldn't the Americans make an oil like this. I've read more Europeans by ratio use synthetic oil than dino. As in the USA I think the ratio is more for dino oil. If the ratio in America was for synthetic oil, would competition force Companies to produce a product like what German Castrol has. And the price of German Castrol is very cheap compare to Amsoil or Redline.

MB,

We have speculated about this before. It is interesting about us Americans...we host a board of oil fanatics maybe not duplicated anywhere else in the world, but we also are predominantly a people who when asked at Jiffy Lube, what oil do you want to use, say, "Whatever you normally put in cars like mine," or "Whatever the book calls for." Look at how oils are marketed in Europe or Asia...a little more pizazz then in the US wouldn't you say? Look at the packaging even. I honestly believe as the Volvos and Audis and Bimmers and VWs penetrate the market even more, this might change, but only might. Most Americans just aren't into the Total Quartzes and the Elf Excelliums and the Castrol Magnatecs...what great names! We just aren't "into" certain things the way some other folks are. Vive le différence, I guess.

we don't get fancy names, we get stuff like castrol startup and mobil driveclean.

Most people have no idea about motor oil and they just let jiffy lube change it every 3k and they could care less.

The american 0w30 syntec is not even worth putting in a bottle imho. Its right up there with supertech full synthetic in my book, but it carries a 5.00 price tag.

I think that this 0w30 is a great oil because it holds its viscosity so well, unlike a m1 that has a tendancy to sheer a bit.

Also it meets a bunch of euro specs that not too many other oils meet.

Also the fact that I put it in my 98 4.6 f150 truck, and the oil just turned 5k miles and it still looks nearly new. The blackstone report will tell the real story but it works.

The only downside I have found is a small drop in gas mileage over something like mobil1 because the GC is a thick 30 weight. But I will take protection over mpg any day of the week.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Hemidart,

First of all, I think SLX (GC, argh! [no offense to anyone else because I think I coined this acronym around August of last year]) is one of the GREAT oils available below $5.00 on the US market today.

To put things in perspective, SLX is one of the more expensive castrol oils.
I just came back from europe and saw it sold for higher than $20 per liter. Yes, the euro/dollar exchange ratio sucks.

quote:

Originally posted by Hemidart:
Is GC a PAO?

There is speculation that GC is made up of a very high concentration of esters, along with a small amount of group 3 possibly.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Hemidart:
Is GC a PAO?

There is speculation that GC is made up of a very high concentration of esters, along with a small amount of group 3 possibly.

...but only the elves in the Schwarzwald know for certain...
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Hemidart,

First of all, I think SLX (GC, argh! [no offense to anyone else because I think I coined this acronym around August of last year]) is one of the GREAT oils available below $5.00 on the US market today.

To put things in perspective, SLX is one of the more expensive castrol oils.
I just came back from europe and saw it sold for higher than $20 per liter. Yes, the euro/dollar exchange ratio sucks.

f_j,

We are truly fortunate to be getting such a deal. I feel for our friends in Europe considering the prices they have to pay for oil which, of course, makes it understandable why extended OCIs might be well received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back