What is really positive and has helped you being a member of BITOG community

So I will start. Over the years (even before being a member who has only been lurking) I have learned a lot of good information. It's not only the idiosyncratic personalities we deal with. We also learn to understand each other and communicate. It's a challenge for all of us but can be a productive one. Here are some other things that are beneficial in this multifarious and heterogeneous community:

Choosing good tools

Maintaining reliability and proper service of vehicles

Pros and cons of all kinds of lubricants (other than engine oil)

Very educated members who elucidate a scientific approach

Very educated members who elucidate a practical "hands on" approach

Very educated members who elucidate a common sense approach

Dispensation of solid advice

Good deals on all kinds of stuff from lubricants, vehicles, tools, etc

Amsoil vender member who is here to help with product questions

The massive diversity of subject matter that is discussed. BITOG has one of the hugest data bases for darn near any subject matter for us gear heads

And I have to go on record stating the staff/moderators here have a tough job trying to sift through all of our personalities. And yes, that includes my own. A few of them actually took the time to reply to my PM's and state their concerns and feedback. I took note so I can be a better fit to the BITOG community

So good job and effort to the staff

People providing everyday test results on Oils, Filters and maintenance advice.

One of the reasons I switched to a Fram Ultra was because of the numerous posts, pics and discussions on Bitog. Great advice on motor oils and rebates etc.

I've been in a few pickles working on my own cars in the rust belt. I've gotten some great advice and assistance about tools that I never knew existed for repairs.

Thanks to all of the members that make this site great!

Just yesterday I learned about a lifetime warranty that Toyota has. I honestly had no clue. I am now rethinking my next vehicle. Heck there is even firearm discussions here that is super intriguing.

Before I started posting and just lurking I was very search specific to learn something. Now I am learning all over again as personality dynamics come into play. I'm sure after a while I'll get a feel and better vibe of the members here. As they will me.

The other thing I like too is that we have members from all over the world and sometimes we get to see what else is out there in terms of oils and cars that are used elsewhere. We all have a common bond, the passion for vehicles. Many of us may not do extensive work on our own cars, while we have some real pros that show us how it's done and how they tackle the difficult stuff that would baffle most.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 20-30 years based on what will happen to the car market. I'm sure we'll have other sections added for troubleshooting of computers or specialized diagnostic tools needed for stuff that will be coming.

I know before I joined this site, there were many things, I would never touch on a car. These days there isn't much that I won't try myself. I might get in too deep sometimes, but if I wait long enough, pause and take a break and post here or look around I find the answer.

Today I was removing the rear brake lines from the clips and I didn't know how the white clip opened. Thank goodness for the internet. I was able to get the clip opened and gently pry the line loose.

I like meeting all the other mechanics and people on here that I can reach out to for a question or tool recommendation. And I enjoy helping others out with my knowledge. I am a younger mechanic so I have to still learn some things which is ok but some I know and here I learn a lot of stuff and I’m happy to be on a forum where I feel welcome and can share knowledge and experience. I also enjoy talking about the other hobbies some of us on here share as well.

Probably the PEA ingredient that cleans fuel systems and BITOG got me away from Seafoam and LucasOil Stabilizer. I did learn that 0 weight oils are safe where a 5w is generally recommended. It got me using Redline back in mid 2000's too. AAP sold it for 7.xx a quart.

Learning about things I don't know about amongst generally smart people, some even more so than mysef. Can talk about almost anything, including firearms. Can't tell you enough how verboten that is in most places; here, will tell you the best Glocker oil.. and more! It is wonderful.

Only minimal nonsense and I like that too. Other boards are mostly, read the manual, do what it says, don't waste our time, by the way, look at that H22 swapped Sol. This place, you can actually learn things without being flamed.

*mostly.

Not over maintaining or under maintaining the vehicles. I enjoy seeing when someone gets a new car and updates from those with older, high mile vehicles. Plus reading interesting stories about a wide variety of topics. Besides oil it’s kind of an all in one forum.

Heavens! Where to start?
1) Opening my skull: The era of synthetics brought me into the world of 5,000 / 7,500 and longer OCIs.
THEN I see 3,750 mile OCIs in current Nissan truck maintenance schedules. Now I can handle it.

2) Mechanical details: My own hypereutectic cylinder walls. The low resistance rings in Ecoboost engines and the resulting "need" for catch cans.

3) Dispelling "Old Mechanics Tales": The neglected transmission gets an overdue fluid refreshment then croaks IS NOT a life path we're bound to.

4) Tectonic forces in the industry: Soon 45% of the cost of vehicles will be electronics. We need some electrons, just not every dang one they can entice us to want.

5) Common courtesy: How ugly my posts can be when I sign on drunk and nasty.

6) Grease: OMG, the greases out there!

7) The pricelessness of others sharing their mistakes. Many don't want to be embarrassed by their mistakes...even with the anonymity of usernames.

8) Current trends: Learning what "trolls" are....though I'm still not sure....it's a sickness..or something.

CLOSING INSPIRATION: Years ago, after adding 3 quarts of oil to my SIL's car ( a '95 Saturn which held only 4) I politely suggested checking the oil more frequently.
I was told to mind my own business.
Carry on BITOGers.

Back