What is Penetro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The back label of a 703 10W-30 Schaeffer bottle refers to Penetro, but Schaeffer's #703 tech data sheet does not refer to it. The #703 MSDS doesn't show anything that jumps out to me that might have this tradename.

What is Penetro, and what does it do?

Ken

Penetro is an antiwear additive that has similar properties to moly, but other than that I believe it's pretty secretive. Let's just say it works very well!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
for that matter, what's supersyn?

From the ExxonMobil PAO web page:

quote:

SuperSyn PAO, made with a proprietary patented technology, is a high-viscosity fluid typically used at low treat rates to balance the viscometrics, shear stability and low temperature properties of a lubricant. Its viscosity ranges between 150 to 2,800 cSt at 100° C.

The addition of SuperSyn PAO to Mobil 1 was the reason for the name change from Tri-Synthetic to SuperSyn.

Edit: What is the penetro additive?

A surfactant (which is a contraction for " surface-active-agent") which causes spreading of the AW/EP additives. It is also a corrosion inhibitor, a lubricant, and a dispersant. In the trade, we call it ELCA, or in organic chemistry, a special "Alkylamine." Neat stuff - coats metals well, is extremely slippery, and stabilizes tbn and reduces oxidation.

[ December 09, 2002, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

What is the chemical name for Penetro? (Without revealing any trade secrets)

I did a search on ELCA...got Evangelical Lutheran Church in America...so I just need faith that Penetro works???

I put Schaeffer's 701 5W-30 into my Toyota V8 yesterday. This morning when I started the engine it was silent, no cold piston slap, and I could clearly hear the exhaust popping out of the manifold cracks as soon as I put it into gear--I've never heard that this clearly before.

Ken

[ December 08, 2002, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

I think a lot of piston slap could be reduced by adding Schaeffer's #132 (4 oz. to 8 oz. per 5 quarts); it has a Penetro concentrate in it plus SbDTC. I don't recommend using additives until I have tested them and used them in my own vehicles. #132, LC, and Nuetra I have tested and do what they claim.

[ December 08, 2002, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I think you're confusing the Penetro Spray Product with the penetro additive.

from above -

"Edit: What is the penetro additive?

A surfactant (which is a contraction for " surface-active-agent") which causes spreading of the AW/EP additives. It
is also a corrosion inhibitor, a lubricant, and a dispersant. In the trade, we call it ELCA, or in organic chemistry, a
special "Alkylamine." Neat stuff - coats metals well, is extremely slippery, and stabilizes tbn and reduces oxidation."

[ December 09, 2002, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back