What is off-road diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a main road in a few small towns in northern Alabama, the filling stations had "Diesel" and "Off Road Diesel" which was less expensive than the regular "Diesel".

Can off-road be used "on road"? What's the difference between the two fuels? I haven't seen that anywere in TN, but in AL it was in several places.

Sounds like there is no motor-fuel tax paid on that diesel. It likely is a marked fuel that is not allowed to be used by a vehicle on a public road. They probably sell a lot of it to farmers, mariners, etc.

I have seen marked gasoline that was being marketed to the boating crowd...

John.

If an inspector ever does check and finds the color coded 'off-road' diesel in a road vehicle, you could expect a heavy fine. They do check farmers road vehicles from time to time...
The gas station would probably refuse to allow you to fill a road car at their 'off road' pump - they could lose their license as well as get a huge fine.

Where I work, my yard spotting tractor gets red dyed diesel from an above ground tank. The wal-mart road trucks get there diesel from a seperate, below ground tank. It saves on the 50.5 cent per gallon ohio fuel tax because the yard trucks dont go on public roads. Wal-mart has 8 yard trucks that run 24/7 at the warehouse, and each one consumes about 1.5 gallons per hour of diesel.

quote:

Originally posted by Tree Hugger:
If an inspector ever does check and finds the color coded 'off-road' diesel in a road vehicle, you could expect a heavy fine. They do check farmers road vehicles from time to time...

YUP. The fuel used in refer trailers is considered "Off-road" since there's no road taxes paid on a reefer although that fuel is not dyed red.

If a trucker runs out of regular fuel and takes fuel from the refer tank........And a Hwy Patroll see's him doing so the trucker will be in alot more heat than just running out of fuel.
pat.gif

Sad thing about off road diesel, is the fact that a lot of stations don't take the full amount of the tax off. Most only take off .20 or so, leaving them with MORE PROFIT from off road than on road. Customer thinks they are getting a deal, but in reality they are getting screwed out of 20-30 cents a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back