What is my OCI is like now

Status
Not open for further replies.
A month ago I have to drive 100 miles a day . I work 7 day . Now I am moving and only drive 3 miles to work and back .
banana2.gif

I'm currently running Mobil 1 hm 0w20 with Mobil 1 oil filter . What is my oci is like now ?

My next oil change will be what ever high mile cheap oil 5w20 and fram TG oil filter .

I'd go severe service interval, which I'm not sure what that is for your vehicle. I go 6 months with my 7 mile commute to work.

I had a similar commute. I did 20% less than the severe service interval with synthetic (PP, QSUD, M1) and never had a problem at 85,000 even with an engine that was known to burn oil and grenade. The engine never burnt a drop of oil, and I had no issues. It meant some 2,500 mile oil changes, but it was easier than replacing an engine.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
A month ago I have to drive 100 miles a day . I work 7 day . Now I am moving and only drive 3 miles to work and back .
banana2.gif

I'm currently running Mobil 1 hm 0w20 with Mobil 1 oil filter . What is my oci is like now ?

My next oil change will be what ever high mile cheap oil 5w20 and fram TG oil filter .

My wife went from a 100 mile per day to a 10 mile per day and I went from a 10k to 5k oci.

at least you are in a warm weather state. I drive short distances and in winter, the car just hits operating temp.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
banana2.gif

Do you drive anywhere else during the week? I would be doing a 30-50 drive once a week or so do get the engine up to temp. You could switch to dino. My civic doesn't get driven a lot mon-fri. I'm using a Fram Ultra and planning on leaving in on for 18-24 months. I change the oil every 6 months which is approx. 3K. I use conventional in summer and full synth in winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
3K or 6 months whichever comes first.

Consider OEM filter.

2011 Honda Accord 2.4 125k miles .

Honda oil filter ?

Yes that is severe service, but it's more than that. My buddy in San Mateo Drives 2.5 miles one way to work. He often comes home for lunch. He recently spent $1300 for a new exhaust manifold with integrated cat on his Toyota RAV4. His vehicle has always received regular service so the engine runs fine, but the short trip usage clogged up the cat. Many other examples, you get the point.
So if you do nothing more than repeated short trips like your 3-mile commute, that type of use will eventually kill your catalytic converter. Those are expensive. You might consider combining trips somehow, so that your engine gets to full temp (closed loop operation) and stays there for awhile. Another solution would be to schedule regular weekend getaways where your engine gets run for 30 minutes or more in 1 trip. Or just ride a bike or get an EV/golf cart as another post suggests, that is actually a great idea.

There so much to do and go in Texas . Just don't have any time .

Originally Posted by DGXR
Yes that is severe service, but it's more than that. My buddy in San Mateo Drives 2.5 miles one way to work. He often comes home for lunch. He recently spent $1300 for a new exhaust manifold with integrated cat on his Toyota RAV4. His vehicle has always received regular service so the engine runs fine, but the short trip usage clogged up the cat. Many other examples, you get the point.
So if you do nothing more than repeated short trips like your 3-mile commute, that type of use will eventually kill your catalytic converter. Those are expensive. You might consider combining trips somehow, so that your engine gets to full temp (closed loop operation) and stays there for awhile. Another solution would be to schedule regular weekend getaways where your engine gets run for 30 minutes or more in 1 trip. Or just ride a bike or get an EV/golf cart as another post suggests, that is actually a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back