What Is It?

A few days ago my cousin was looking around in our grandfathers house attic. The house has been in our family since the 1830's. He came across this tin can in an old trunk in the attic. He knew I was into old things like this and he gave it to me. Does anyone know what kind of oil, lighter fluid, (liquid?) it might have contained? A name brand that goes with the can?
I would like to possibly restore it, if I can. Any suggestions or input as to how I might go about it?
CAN.jpeg
CAN1.jpeg

It does have that nozzle to reach into the gas tank filler neck, so might be fuel cleaner:LOL:. just make sure it isn’t some sort of ordnance or other hazardous materials container.

There were some old DuPont gun powder cans like that. Never saw that extension … but they did have an oval on the front of can …

My cousin and I were just talking and 2 of our uncles were in WWII. One was born in 1924, the other, 1926. One went into the Navy, the other went into the Marines. We're thinking it was our uncle in the Marines that brought it back and my grandfather put it in the trunk. My grandfather (my dads father and mother) passed away in 1996 (1904-1996/92 years old) and my grandmother passed away in 1998 (1905-1998/93 years old). ❤️:(
My cousin also found some very old photo albums, clothes, and boots. I'm going over to his house this weekend to look at the findings.

Back