What is happening with Propane right now?

So there is a ton of pressure on Natural Gas and Propane, but this is with the prediction of a more mild winter.

What if this winter turns out to be much, much colder? What would happen if a Natural Gas pipeline system shuts in due to lack of supply?
What the hell is FEMA going to do? Propane is kinda resilient, since it's all bottled in tanks, but natural gas is compressed in lines going way down into the heart of Texas.

Since the hordes of GE gas turbines that were built all over in the 2010's, we should not be exporting, we should be using our excess for electric production. Exporting it, is just making it so expensive to use for home heat/electric generation.

I had mine filled a couple months ago at the locked in Summer Fill price of $1.43. The driver looked pained as he was filling my tank as he knew it would last me all year. I think they knew then.

Exporting LNG establishes a world price for natural gas, which would otherwise be land locked, providing a undervalued price for producers. Natural gas will follow the money. Look at the natural gas producers that went bankrupt. Now we’ll see if the producers start investing. So far they are a bit timid and are instead providing dividends and doing share by-backs. However, as their reserves deplete they will have to decide if they want to still be in the business or not.

Last edited:
Let’s don’t forget some LNG terminals were originally intended to receive gas. Along comes fracking of horizontally drilled shale (that is of no use vertically or not stimulated) - and the rest is history.
However - so called “leaders” can change all of this … Words matter …

Exporting LNG establishes a world price for natural gas, which would otherwise be land locked, providing a undervalued price for producers. Natural gas will follow the money. Look at the natural gas producers that went bankrupt. Now we’ll see if the producers start investing. So far they are a bit timid and are instead providing dividends and doing share by-backs. However, as their reserves deplete they will have to decide if they want to still be in the business or not.
This is one of the main reason I endorse other energy form instead of sourcing our electricity solely on natural gas. All it take is the perfect storm to start another Enron and rolling blackout. With more nuke, solar, hydro, and maybe wind too, we can at least average them out and have a smaller peak and bottom.

So it seems we are exporting as much as we can because the Asian markets are like three times or more our price for propane/LNG.

Was this all caused by the frozen wells in Texas, or is there an international shortage of Propane/LNG? I am just thankful that we don't have the capacity to export more propane/LNG than what we do. Prices would be 3x as high, and our stockpiles are like 10 percent or more deficient compared to last year.

Why did they not "top off" propane/LNG stockpiles/underground reserves during the summer? Every year I seem to get reports of reserve shortages, what is going to happen to a really cold winter when these reserves get depleted?
There will be wood to burn

Personally I think LNG ports and tankers are great big terrorist targets.

I get my Propane at a summer fill rate, lowest price of the year usually. I don't know why they price like that. But they usually fill late July early August.

I don't think they store propane underground. They store a lot of natural gas underground around me for the Chicago market.

It's the old story of constricted supply and unrelenting demand.

Sanctions against Russia wiped out 10% of the world's supply. And now sanctions from Russia are strangling Europe's access to natural gas.

Prices of this vital fuel have been driven up everywhere, but in Europe they shot up insanely – nearly 300%.

Back