What is going on with oil prices?

I last changed oil in the spring, and I’m shopping for PUP 5W-20, and the prices at Walmart and Amazon are around $36 for a 5qt jug. I think I spent around $22 for the same jug In the spring. The cheapest I can find it is Napa which has it for $32. Anyone know what’s up? I would have expected the prices to move with gasoline, but doesn’t appear to be the case.

Come to Kanada if you want to get gouged. Early this spring both Walmart and Canadian Tire were $49.99 for a 5L jug of Castrol Edge (black jug). Costco was between 37.99 and 43.99. Costco is the only place Ive actually seen where prices actually fluctuate DOWN. Early summer Walmart went to 52.99 and Canadian Tire went to 63.99. A couple days ago Walmart was 59.99 and Rip Off Tire is now 72.99. Costco is 48.99 and thats where I bought my winter change of 0/20. Kanadian Tire has become a ripoff. They have many store across Canada so im sure they have “purchasing power” because of quantities. Just for the heck of it I checked out Peavy Mart and the same jug was 84.99!! If youre unfamiliar they are a farm supply store woth 89 stores.

Come to Kanada if you want to get gouged. Early this spring both Walmart and Canadian Tire were $49.99 for a 5L jug of Castrol Edge (black jug). Costco was between 37.99 and 43.99. Costco is the only place Ive actually seen where prices actually fluctuate DOWN. Early summer Walmart went to 52.99 and Canadian Tire went to 63.99. A couple days ago Walmart was 59.99 and Rip Off Tire is now 72.99. Costco is 48.99 and thats where I bought my winter change of 0/20. Kanadian Tire has become a ripoff. They have many store across Canada so im sure they have “purchasing power” because of quantities. Just for the heck of it I checked out Peavy Mart and the same jug was 84.99!! If youre unfamiliar they are a farm supply store woth 89 stores.
In-store, Costco in Anchorage has Kirkland 5W-30 for $37.99 for two each 5-qt jugs.

Their oil is likely the cheapest FS in Alaska... and, thankfully, it's good usable stuff.

In-store, Costco in Anchorage has Kirkland 5W-30 for $37.99 for two each 5-qt jugs. Their oil is likely the cheapest in Alaska...
I think its the same price as here. Im sure a Kirkland is a good product. Ive always used Castrol Edge 5w20 my 3.7 since new. Most winters i change to 0w20. It pisses me off though that my truck holds 5.7 litres and a jug is only 5L. So I just top off with a litre of 5w20.

Just be grateful it is available.

The cost of the distribution goes up also.
This is the cost to put the product from the factory to the warehouse and to the retail store.

Nobody pays retail price at Canadian Tire. They rotate through which brands are on sale but you can get every major brand of oil they carry for ~50% off about every 3-6 weeks.

Supply chains are monumentally broken - could be any single component in short supply making it difficult to deliver. Probably figured better to offer it at whatever price for those that must have it, and those who don't care will buy a different brand at a more reasonable price.

If there is a particular brand that you must have, if you ever see it cheap stock up, because it doesn't look like things are getting any better.

I wish I stocked up on PUP. Four months back, I was surprised to find it at nearly the same price as PP. and I know inflation is a thing, but it and supply chain was a problem then too.

I wish I stocked up on PUP. Four months back, I was surprised to find it at nearly the same price as PP. and I know inflation is a thing, but it and supply chain was a problem then too.
Supply chain issues aren't linear. Maybe today there missing one particular additive, so they can't make that product, or can only make it in limited quantities. Maybe they find a limited supply of that additive from an alternate source but pay much more for it. Pushes the price up for those willing to pay. At some point, that input becomes available and things go back to normal for a while, then without notice a different input becomes unavailable and boom, same cycle all over again.

Sounds like everyone should stock up on QSFS while it’s still $21.

After wasting time on the DuraMax oil box fiasco I guess Kirkland or QS is still the best non-rebate deal out there.
I got PUP 5w20 at under 20 bucks before the price jump.

Back