What is GC and why is it so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that most of you will think that this is a stupid question, but what oil does the abbreviation "GC" represent? Everyone seems to agree that it is a great oil. Also, where do you buy it?

Sorry for asking such a silly question, but...I am new.

When I joined I had to ask many questions concerning abbreviations used. "GC" stands for German Castrol 0W30 that is found in Autozone's in the US and also Walmart in Canada. Best place to find out more info is to go to the top right of the forum page and click on search and look for German Castrol, or GC and you will find plenty of info. The forum is currently testing the oil to find out what it is made of and what oil group it belongs in. I personally have not used it but have 16 bottles waiting for my next change in my wife's BMW. Good luck searching and hope more of your questions are answered. This is an outstanding site for all types of info.
cheers.gif

GERMAN CASTROL . I have never used it but see good results in others. My opinion on why it is such a hit is that it is a heavy 30wt syn. It fits the needs of the majority of engines out there without being too thick. I wonder why other brands dont catch on.
cool.gif

Yes, it stands for German Castrol which is a "made in Germany" Castrol Syntec 0-30 found in N.A. (if you look hard enough). It is claimed to be a "good oil" probably because it is an A3-rated 30 weight oil compared to the A1 garbage we get in N.A..

And everyone wets themselves on 30 weight oils here....
grin.gif

I'm using it right now in my Nissan v6, and I couldn't be happier with the results i'm feeling. I will be getting a UOA (which stands for Used Oil Analysis) done here pretty quick, just so I can see just HOW good it really is in my engine.
smile.gif

And yes, this board ROCKS for finding good information... trust me, I'm a newer member and have already made several drastic changes to my vehicle. (perfect example... I now use G.C.
lol.gif
)

I am starting to have a few doubts. In 6500 miles in my Chevy 4.3 truck the visc@100 was 15.9 All the wear numbers look ok but the ntration was up to 21. This is the first change after getting the intake gasket changed so maybe it is still wrinsing. The NA was way down to 16 from 50+ in the prior two.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
I am starting to have a few doubts. In 6500 miles in my Chevy 4.3 truck the visc@100 was 15.9 All the wear numbers look ok but the ntration was up to 21. This is the first change after getting the intake gasket changed so maybe it is still wrinsing. The NA was way down to 16 from 50+ in the prior two.

Not GC's fault, why not do a few short oci's on dino to flush.?

quote:

Originally posted by TEXDOG:
GERMAN CASTROL . I have never used it but see good results in others. My opinion on why it is such a hit is that it is a heavy 30wt syn. It fits the needs of the majority of engines out there without being too thick. I wonder why other brands dont catch on.
cool.gif

My thoughts too. Gummi Bears and Green not withstanding. I use it, though.
grin.gif

Plus it would seem longer drains might be doable, the add pak seems to work and around 12 cst.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Good stuff.
wink.gif

[ January 07, 2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

It may not be around much longer as I can't find any reference to SLX on Castrol's German or Australian web sites. They make reference to the 0W-40 and 10W-60 for full synthetics. The 0W-40 has the same HTHS @ 3.6 as GC and the viscosity at 100 = 12.9 whereas GC is 12.2, so it seems like the 0w-30 may have been replaced.

"Not GC's fault, why not do a few short oci's on dino to flush.? "

I did give it a 200 mile dino flush. It seems that something about this 4.3 engine pushes visc high. It was pushing Mobil1 5W30 above 14 before I switched to GC 3 or 4 oil changes ago. I guess we will just have to wait another out and see.

welcome.gif
indeed!
I've been away and maybe it has changed but if you want to buy GC, pick up each individual bottle and turn it around. It should say it's made in Germany and that it is not for sale outside of North America. If you can find it and really want to try it, buy more than one fill of it; rumors continue (above and elsewhere on this board) that it's, ummmm, going the way of the dinosaur? Or is that pun a bit too much of a groaner?
smile.gif

Rob the oil nut
Winterpeg (Winnipeg)

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
It may not be around much longer as I can't find any reference to SLX on Castrol's German or Australian web sites. They make reference to the 0W-40 and 10W-60 for full synthetics. The 0W-40 has the same HTHS @ 3.6 as GC and the viscosity at 100 = 12.9 whereas GC is 12.2, so it seems like the 0w-30 may have been replaced.

You're a Castrol shill, aren't you??? No doubt, they planted you here to stimulate even more sales of the 0w-30 to OCD types like me who can't keep enough of the stuff on hand just in case the supply dries up. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

I actually touched a bottle of GC today!!! I went to my only Autozone in my area and they had it!! I felt earth shake, and the clouds opened up above me, and I was engulfed by this bright white light!!! IT WAS SOOOO COOL!!!!
fruit.gif

I have a 2000 VW GTI 1.8L Turbo. Engine is 100% stock. How do you all think the GC 0w30 would hold up in my engine with 5k mile OCI's?

I do mostly highway driving, 80 miles round-trip every day & sometimes I push it to redline. But it never stays at redline for more than a second or two, because it's an automatic.

So, what do you guys think? GC or should I stick with Mobil 1 0w40 year-round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back