What is Esso?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there used to be Esso stations here in the US and they eventually became Exxon stations. So, exactly what is Esso? Many here talk about Esso XD-3 oil and I wanna know what it is, who makes it, etc...

And the next question is why can't I get it in the US?

"Esso" was one of the names invited after the breakup of the Standard Oil Trust in 1911 by the US Supreme Court. Think of the letters "S" and "O" and you can see what the name means.

Esso is still a brand of ExxonMobil used in countries other than the United States and is roughly the equivalent of "Exxon" as a brand.

For a look at the various oil companies that resulted from the breakup of the Standard Oil Trust, check out this web site.

I want to know why Esso is not in the USA too!

Don't they like us? Isn't everyone that large on our side of the hemisphere expanding into foreign markets?

Come to Michigan Esso!
Being a backyard oil mixologist, I want to see a UOA with half Esso 0W-30 and half GC 0W-30.
gr_eek2.gif
gr_eek2.gif

We may never have to change our oil again mixing these two together
lol.gif
lol.gif

My bad. You're right of course, G-man. However, that site does list the company's origins and gives a historical rundown of what companies were part of or became part of ExxonMobil. I was actually looking for a picture of the fammous Tessa, the Esso tiger mascot, and that's why I ended up on that site. "Put a tiger in your tank."
wink.gif

-

http://bigred.homelinux.org/~danielw/fist/images/esso.jpg

Exxon owns Esso so you'll never see Esso products south of the 49th competing for shelf space with other Mobil oils.

No one has found XD3 or it's E/M equivalent in the USA. The closest would be Delvac 1. The only reason XD3 caused such a stir was price: a full PAO syn for 50% less than comparable oils.

I think that last place we had Esso Stations was in California. Jay Leno made a joke one time as the host of the Tonight SHow about "Esso Azz-o's" and had footage of oneof the crew cutting through an Esso station to get around a red light.

Esso stations are all over Europe! In my 14 years in Erupoe I think 80% of my fuel ups were done at Esso stations. GM uses Esso XD3 as factory fill for the Duramax diesel and it is also used inthe service engines as well for the Duramax.

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
[QB] I want to know why Esso is not in the USA too!

==========
As pointed out in earlier posts, "Esso" is phoenetically the same as "S.O.", or "Standard Oil.

When the original Standard Oil was broken up into multiple companies, the exclusive right to use the trade name "Standard Oil" in the United States was assigned to the regional companies. Standard Oil of New Jersey had the right in much of the east coast, and used the tradename "Esso". They also used it outside the USA, including Canada.

In the western USA, Standard Oil of NJ used the trade name "Enco", and in Ohio, they used the name "Humble".

However, about 1970 the decision was made in Standard Oil of NJ that it should market under a single trade name nationwide. They selected the name "Exxon", and changed the corporate name as well.

Thus, the Canadian Esso oils discussed on BITOG are brewed by Imperial Oil, ExxonMobil's Canadian affiliated company. Even if ExxonMobil wanted to market the Imperial Oil motor oils in the USA, they would not be able to use the Esso label in states where other companies formerly affiliated with the original Standard Oil have the right to use the "Standard Oil" name.

I know a fair amount of this because years ago I was an engineer for Exxon and we went through all of this in a professional orientation program.

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:
Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
[QB] I want to know why Esso is not in the USA too!

==========
As pointed out in earlier posts, "Esso" is phoenetically the same as "S.O.", or "Standard Oil.

When the original Standard Oil was broken up into multiple companies, the exclusive right to use the trade name "Standard Oil" in the United States was assigned to the regional companies. Standard Oil of New Jersey had the right in much of the east coast, and used the tradename "Esso". They also used it outside the USA, including Canada.

In the western USA, Standard Oil of NJ used the trade name "Enco", and in Ohio, they used the name "Humble".

However, about 1970 the decision was made in Standard Oil of NJ that it should market under a single trade name nationwide. They selected the name "Exxon", and changed the corporate name as well.

Thus, the Canadian Esso oils discussed on BITOG are brewed by Imperial Oil, ExxonMobil's Canadian affiliated company. Even if ExxonMobil wanted to market the Imperial Oil motor oils in the USA, they would not be able to use the Esso label in states where other companies formerly affiliated with the original Standard Oil have the right to use the "Standard Oil" name.

I know a fair amount of this because years ago I was an engineer for Exxon and we went through all of this in a professional orientation program.
I remember back in the late 70's when Standard Oil of California officially changed its corporate name to Chevron USA. Back then, there was a mix of gas stations that had the same logo, but either "Standard" or "Chevron".

http://www.chevron.com/products/learning_center/history/

I remember when Texaco gas stations became DEA in Germany in the '80s. Texaco was Standard Oil, as far as I know.

It was Standard Stations for company owned locations, and Chevron Dealers for independently owned ones.

Texaco was never part of the Standard Oil Trust. What is confusing is that CalTex was formed as a joint venture in 1936 between Texaco and Standard of California. CalTex is only seen outside North America.

Esso is owned by Imperial Oil which is a public company that trades on The Toronto Stock Exchange. Exxon owns 70% of Imperial Oil.

I live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC and have ordered a case of Esso XD-3 (12 litres),0W30 from an Esso bulk plant. They had none in stock and say they have little demand for it. I said that might change. They have to bring it in from Edmonton, but I will have it on July 13th. I could buy Esso XD-3, 0W40, locally at Wal Mart but I don't need that weight and its cheaper to buy it from the Esso bulk plant than Wally World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back