What is considered Modern Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old BMW M60 engine is thoroughly modern. Lightweight linerless Alusil aluminum block, fracture-split connecting rods, very sophisticated Bosch Motronic fuel injection maps with coil-on-plugs and knock sensors. Dual overhead cams in aluminum heads with magnesium covers.

So by those metrics this 26-year old engine is quite "modern".

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
4 cylinders paired with at least a single turbo (sometimes with a twin or a supercharger in the mix).
The marketplace seems to be flooded with 'em!

1997 Volvo 850?

1986 SAAB 99 Turbo?

1986 Subariu XT Turbo?

1979 Porsche 924 Turbo?

To answer the original question, when I refer to "modern" I usually mean EFI and with some for of distributorless ignition. VVT is so common now that I usually also include that.

I would ALMOST be inclined to say that a "modern" engine has to be OHC, although of course there are some very old OHC engines. Also, there is one OHV engine on the market that is less than a year old, and on the whole there's some impressive technology packed into modern OHV engines.

My opinion is that an engine is a modern engine if it has one or more of these qualities:

Any gas engine that's direct injected
Any engine with stop/start technology
An engine that has been in production only within the last several years, that has a turbocharger, that replaced a larger displacement naturally-aspirated engine in the same vehicle model.

Fuel injection and computer control has been around and commonplace for over 30 years now. I don't consider anything 20+ years old to be modern. Even OBD2 has been around for 24 years. Not modern anymore. Any car from the '90s is old enough to get classic vehicle (antique) license plates now (in CT). How can something be modern and an antique at the same time? That doesn't make sense.

Overall, "modern" is a relative term. Without a frame of reference, it is meaningless. Valvoline's reference point is 2012. Personally, I agree with the port fuel injection, electronic ignition and OBD 2 requirement for being modern -- since approx 1996. Yes there are 25 year old vehicles with modern engines... in my opinion.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Anything that specs W20 and lower vis oils?

In the context of motor oils it would be that and/or high temperatures.

IMO you can call it modern once it has a good EFI computer controlled setup. More advanced if its direct injected but Modern starts with sequential EFI. Even if its a 2 valve pushrod design it can be state of the art modern with the level of optimization found in a gen V chevy V8.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Gasoline fired, High static compression turbocharged with stratified Direct injection.
It's Valvoline's term for modified DP Synthetic oils.

LSPI occurs when lugging such an engine with low octane ( read: 87 E10) fuel.
Purported Fix: Remove 1/2 or more of the Calcium headed detergents in the oil.

Almost word for word what Valvoline stated when the marketing of their product began.

For automotive I'd say any engine that will not run with out a computer attached to it, with a ton of wires and sensors.

My understanding of "modern engine" is the introduction of direct injection and predominantly timing chain/variable valve train, engines. Throw in a turbo too if you like.

This^^^ to me has been the advancement of the modern engine, and when people mention it, they talk about the problems/hiccups we are seeing along the way of it's maturation. Valve coking, misfires, LSPI, timing chain stretch/premature wear, oil consumption, soot, fuel dilution, shorter oil change intervals, new oil certifications with different standards than in the past (used to combat these things).

That's what I think of with modern engines.

Direct Injection, Variable Valve Timing.

Valvoline is laughing all the way to the bank the more things we can think of.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back