What is considered Modern Engine?

Serious question, that maybe subjective. *Define Modern Engine: I'm always reading about modern engines in various contexts, mostly on BITOG. Did modern engines begin with fuel injectors? 1990's (20th century) or 2000's (21st century) or earlier? Opinions appreciated!

No definition given by Valvoline. I'd take it to mean one of two things: either an engine that has always required API SN or newer oil, or anything since the advent of mass-market GDI. Without official input, we'll never know for sure.

I think multi-port fuel injection, OBD2, and electronic ignition are kind of the baseline for modern engines, although it's a perspective thing I'm sure. Other modern features: aluminum block and heads overhead cams (sorry GM fans) four valves per cylinder variable valve timing direct injection

I know it is not true, but to an old-timer like me, anything that doesn't have a carburetor, and points in the ignition is modern. LOL

I think there are a couple of stages here. 1st stage: electronic ignition and port fuel injection. 2nd stage: aluminum blocks/heads and overhead cams. 3rd stage: GDI/turbo combination.

Onetor

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Modern by what standard or timeframe?
That is my point! I couldn't find one. Just wanted different perspectives and opinions.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2022
You do know the first OHC engine was built in or around 1902. Nothing modern about that. Just a different way of opening and closing the valves. I would say OBDII and up. It really allowed you to get into the software/computer to troubleshoot and change settings. Tolerances are much better now too.

Last edited:
Overhead valve, so Oldsmobile and the Rocket V8 in 1949 I would consider modern. LOL The SBC from 1955 had a great run and the LS motors still carry that torch. Induction, fuel introduction, and exhaust changed a little, but not the "core engine".

Originally Posted by Imp4
I think there are a couple of stages here. 1st stage: electronic ignition and port fuel injection. 2nd stage: aluminum blocks/heads and overhead cams. 3rd stage: GDI/turbo combination.
Those stages seem scrambled, because electronic ignition, aluminum heads, and overhead cams were common long before fuel injection. Title question is too subjective to have any significance except to marketers.

It depends on the context in which the word modern is being used. It's more of concept that someone would write in order to avoid making a long and elaborate post enumerating everything, similar to many other words we used to make things concise and readable without pages of redundant info that most people already know.

4WD

$50 site donor 2023
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
According to Valvoline it is 2012+.
Yes, that's on the bottles of Valvoline ME that I just bought …

4WD

$50 site donor 2023
It's like a multiplex system under the hood … more and more aspects are computer controlled and/or actuated via hydraulics that employs the lube. DI and turbo have increased in use.

more than two valves per cylinder. + VVT. Those details would seem to be the divide.