What is all the hype about German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ye olde Imperial vs US gallon mix up. MPG figures in Canada always seem magical because of this. Best to use L/100 kms.

Originally Posted By: ktm_525
Ye olde Imperial vs US gallon mix up. MPG figures in Canada always seem magical because of this. Best to use L/100 kms.

Well, still, 6.5 l/100km out of a 2.8-liter I6 engine designed more than 15 years ago with wide sticky tires is pretty impressive.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:

What oils are better than GC? (Please say Mobil1 0w40
grin2.gif
)

Well, Amsoil SSO for one. I think M1 0w40 is also.

I don't think SSO is a fair comparo to GC. Very different oils - GC is an A3-rated, 12.1-cst 'Euro' spec oil designed for long service life, but not necessarily fuel economy. SSO is an SM-compliant, 10.3-cst long life oil designed to promote fuel economy and long intervals in less 'stressful' applications.

M1 0W-40 is the oil to pit GC against.

GC is a great oil but it didn't work in my Tacoma. I swear to you my engine felt like it was being restricted on the highway. I'm not sure why but the two just didn't mix. I actually want to run it again to see if the same thing happens. Just curious.

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
My issue with Amsoil, Red line, RP and other "specialty" oils is that they are not certified in...anything.

Not true. Click HERE

My Volvo XC70 ran superbly with the GC. I switched to SSO, and the car's not running so strongly or quickly now.

I'll be switching back to GC. I think it's a perfect fit for my XC70.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
My issue with Amsoil, Red line, RP and other "specialty" oils is that they are not certified in...anything.

Not true. Click HERE

I don't know what you're trying to show me here.

Other than: "API’s Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS) is a voluntary licensing and certification program that authorizes engine oil marketers who meet specified requirements to use the API Engine Oil Quality Marks."

Which is exactly what I was saying before. If they don't do this voluntary certification, I don't want it in my engine.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn

Not true. Click HERE

I don't know what you're trying to show me here.

Other than: "API’s Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS) is a voluntary licensing and certification program that authorizes engine oil marketers who meet specified requirements to use the API Engine Oil Quality Marks."

Which is exactly what I was saying before. If they don't do this voluntary certification, I don't want it in my engine.

Your original statement:

This is not true. There are some Amsoil and Royal Purple oils which are API certified so that means they ARE certified in... something.

Now if you said Red Line is not certified in anything and that you didn’t want to use it because it’s not certified, that would have been a true statement.

The voluntary EOLCS costs the manufacture dearly and places limits on performance attributes.

Many of the manufactures have their entry level oils API licensed and then their top grade synthetics which are not.

Check out THIS on API licensing.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
My Volvo XC70 ran superbly with the GC. I switched to SSO, and the car's not running so strongly or quickly now.

I'll be switching back to GC. I think it's a perfect fit for my XC70.

The Volvo 5 pots seems to work well with GC.

As far as GC vs M1 0w-40. They both share the same HT/HS, but GC does it with a thinner +100c base oil at 12cSt. That's the mark of a super-premium oil formula. M1 takes a 14cSt oil to the same HT/HS. After M1 shears, who knows what the HT/HS actually is?

GC is also the only 30 weight oil to gain Porsche Approval.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
M1 takes a 14cSt oil to the same HT/HS.

Isn't M1 0w-40's HT/HS slightly higher though?

Quote:
GC is also the only 30 weight oil to gain Porsche Approval.

But apparently Porsche has removed it from its approval list. At least that's what I've read here (Gary Alan?). M1 0w-40 is still on that list, AFAIK.

I don't believe Porsche has had a 30w on it's list for quit a number of years now, maybe since the late 90's, Doug Hillary would know.

If you look at the US M1 0w-40 PDS, it no longer meets the high horsepower turbo Audi/VW 503.01 spec. If you buy it outside of the USA, it sill does. GC does meet this spec, so I would consider it a heavier duty oil than M1 0w-40 in the US.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
I don't believe Porsche has had a 30w on it's list for quit a number of years now, maybe since the late 90's, Doug Hillary would know.

If you look at the US M1 0w-40 PDS, it no longer meets the high horsepower turbo Audi/VW 503.01 spec. If you buy it outside of the USA, it sill does. GC does meet this spec, so I would consider it a heavier duty oil than M1 0w-40 in the US.

i think i see GC on the porsche list for few years between 2004~2006. maybe it get dropped because of new DI 3.6L 6cylinder used in Cayenne.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
As far as GC vs M1 0w-40. They both share the same HT/HS, but GC does it with a thinner +100c base oil at 12cSt. That's the mark of a super-premium oil formula. M1 takes a 14cSt oil to the same HT/HS.

I've not heard that argument before.
It's an interesting notion I'll have to investigate further.
12.gif

Just to play Devil's advocate...
grin2.gif

What do you make of M1 10W-30 HM?
It rates 11.79 @ 100 (GC is 12.1) and has an HTHS of 3.66 (GC is 3.6) Good stuff?

Hi,
glxpassat - You are correct, no SAE30 lubricant has been on the Porsche Approved (General) List since around MY99

For the VW V6 engine used in the Cayenne, Porsche of course does List some SAE30 lubricants as per the VW Approval process

SAE30 lubricants do not meet the extended 100C and HTHS viscosity test requirements of the Porsche engines

AJ - your comment:
"GC is also the only 30 weight oil to gain Porsche Approval."

is not correct other SAE30 lubricants also had Porsche Approval in the lead up to MY99

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
At least that's what I've read here (Gary Alan?).

And of course it was Doug Hillary, not Gary Allan.
55.gif
Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd

Just to play Devil's advocate...
grin2.gif

What do you make of M1 10W-30 HM?
It rates 11.79 @ 100 (GC is 12.1) and has an HTHS of 3.66 (GC is 3.6) Good stuff?

I'd also like to know how this compares to GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back