What is a good price for R134a?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what a good price on R134a would be?

I had to recharge my truck the other day. I have not recharged an A/C system in years, so I bought an 18 oz kit with a reusable trigger hose for ~$17 (looks like Walmart has dropped the price to around $11 now).
The kit did not quite get it completely full, so I was going to get a 12 oz can to finish topping it up.
Looks like Walmart has a 12 oz can for $4.88 (was like $7 three weeks ago). I know the price drops in winter time, but I don't know at what point is a bottom dollar price for it.

I would have completely drained and measured by weight on refill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Just wondering what a good price on R134a would be?

I had to recharge my truck the other day. I have not recharged an A/C system in years, so I bought an 18 oz kit with a reusable trigger hose for ~$17 (looks like Walmart has dropped the price to around $11 now).
The kit did not quite get it completely full, so I was going to get a 12 oz can to finish topping it up.
Looks like Walmart has a 12 oz can for $4.88 (was like $7 three weeks ago). I know the price drops in winter time, but I don't know at what point is a bottom dollar price for it.

How do you know it's not full?? The proper way is to evacuate, hold the vacuum for 30 min to check for a leak, then fill by weight.

You can do a decent job using a high/low pressure manifold gauge set.

You do a poor job using the low pressure gauge on the 18oz charging kit you used?

You have a leak as the system should loose zero amount. Dried out O-ring or the valve in the high/low pressure ports are common areas for a slow leak.

Was your 18oz charging kit pure R134a or did it include leak-stop? If so shops may refuse to service your A/C as it clogs their machine.

The recharge kit has a pressure gauge on it (yes it is low side only, yes I know it is not ideal) and it was just getting into the pressure range of what the can said it should be for the outside temp. Plus it is barely cooling to 50°F (was only around 65°F before) so I figure just a little more will get it where it needs to be.
There was no stop leak in it as far as I can tell, and any good shop should have a filter on their machine to prevent problems with any sealants anyway (I know the place I used to work at 12 years ago did).
It is a 15 yr old vehicle that I have had for 3 years, I know I have not filled it since I have had it, but no idea before that. I think a recharge after that time frame is not abnormal. Now sure if next summer it needs more again, then I need to get that looked at. I know the best is to do an evacuation, test if it holds vacuum then refill by weight, but I am being lazy and cheap right now.

I was only wanting to know if $4.88 was a "buy it now" price or if I should wait a little longer.
Seems I should go buy a can now since it is pretty cheap. I may buy a second just to have for the future if it is leaking at the start of summer and I need another top off before I can get it to the shop.

I usually get a 12oz can from Walmart or Kmart for around $5-$6.

Parts stores are twice as much and most I've seen are all imported from China.

I know that the 30 lb tanks are way cheaper than they were a few years ago when everyone thought that 134a was going the way of R12 in the near future. I paid almost $200 for a 30 lb tank of 134a a few years ago.

I guess there is supposed to be some 1234 type refrigerant out now for some of the newer vehicles so I would guess 134a will get expensive again at some point.

I would say that your price is a good price since I've not seen it that cheap around here.

Wayne

Hmm, maybe I should buy the 30# container and bring it to my mechanic, give him the R134, and he does a nice A/C tune-up on my truck (and maybe check my car, only 4 yrs old but does not seem to blow as cold as new).

edit: oops, did not notice the 30# was at rural king, thought it was tractor supply. No Rural Kings around here.

Last edited:
Many places sell 30 pound tanks of R-134a. Even some of the chain parts stores, though they are often behind the counter and you have to ask for them. So shop around. Under federal and most state regulations (maybe not California), any consumer can buy them.

Do not charge from a 30 pound tank without having it on a scale so you can tell how much you are putting in.

Last edited:
Our Sam's club carries the 30 lb tanks of R134a but I don't remember how much. I know it was under a $100.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
Our Sam's club carries the 30 lb tanks of R134a but I don't remember how much. I know it was under a $100.

Wayne

I was at my local Sams today. The 30lb can was $69. The cases of 6 12oz cans was $22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back