What is a good enhanced capacity filter for a 1994 Z28 LT1

~V~

As the title indicates, I am looking for a good high capacity filter for a 1994 Z28 with an LT1 engine. The factory filter is rather tiny, so I wanted to go with something that would give me increased oil capacity without compromising filtration.

The car sees occasional spirited driving, but filtration is more important to me than outright flow capability.

Thanks for any help.

Do you know the Fram PH30 is the stock size filter? If it is the Fram PH5 sized filter should fit. Or the XG5 ultra synthetic. The Fram racing HP4 fits vehicles that the PH30 and PH5 fit. Wix 51061 is the Wix version of the PH5/XG5.

Filter on this engine is probably vertical with the base up. If so, watch out on filter length if going bigger so filter doesn't protrude beyond the oil pan. I'd just run a stock sized filter with high capacity and high filtration like the Ultra if going longer puts the filter at risk.

BTW, there's an Oil Filter forum where this topic will get more action.

If the longer smallblock filter doesn't have clearance issues, Rock Auto has the Fram FPS5 filters on closeout, those are the shop version of the Fram Ultra without the grippy paint on the end, by a dozen and you'll be set forever.

I've used the truck size filters on my ls1 a handful of times and feel like it didn't add enough in the way of capacity to worry about.. I like fram ultras they seem to flow well and give me consistent psi

Do you know the Fram PH30 is the stock size filter? If it is the Fram PH5 sized filter should fit. Or the XG5 ultra synthetic. The Fram racing HP4 fits vehicles that the PH30 and PH5 fit. Wix 51061 is the Wix version of the PH5/XG5.
Yes PH30 is the stock size. It's very small.

The filter on the 5.7 LT1 is vertical, and there is room to easily double the length of the PH30 under there without issue.

Somehow i missed the oil filter section. Sorry folks.

Last edited:
Thread resolution:

Ended up going with a fram ultra xg3980 for a 94 Corvette LT1. It's got about double the capacity of the Z28 filter.

Thanks for the replies.

The truck filters I used pretty much sit flush with the kframe, I wouldn't want a filter dropping lower than that unless it was strictly track use.

Also it seemed like the gain of the bigger filter was less than half a quart maybe 1/4 quart.. Hardly enough to really make a difference honestly

Edit: we posted at the same time, sounds like a good choice 😊

If a PH30 is the stock, a PH3980 will not fit, that's a M18x1.5 thread, the PH30 and PH5 are 13/16-16
Yes ... won't work because of different threads as you mention. The PH30 really isn't that small either ... plenty big for the application, especially in the XG Ultra version which is rated for longer use. PH30 is larger in diameter than the PH3980, so the PH3980 gasket on the mount might also be in question even if the threads were right.

What you need is the AC Delco 1218, Fram PH5 or any of those derivatives. Or any other brand that crosses with those.

The longer filter will be comfortably above the bottom of the oil pan so dont worry about that.

When in doubt look up a filter for a early 90's chevy pickup with 350/305 with 2 wheel drive.

Thanks Tman. If the one I ordered doesnt fit i'll report back and get one of the ones you just suggested instead. I don't know why GM would switch the oil filter housing on what is an otherwise identical engine in the Z28, but i've certainly seen dumber things when turning a wrench over the years.

What is the fram ultra part number equivalent to the PH5?

What is the fram ultra part number equivalent to the PH5?
All Ultra filters start with XG (originally short for Xtended Guard), so it'd be XG5, although rock auto has close out Fram Pro Synthetic filters for $3.15 that are the same minus the grippy paint.

The
Thanks Tman. If the one I ordered doesnt fit i'll report back and get one of the ones you just suggested instead. I don't know why GM would switch the oil filter housing on what is an otherwise identical engine in the Z28, but i've certainly seen dumber things when turning a wrench over the years.
Probably because the Corvette had multiple engines that were 5.7L so to avoid confusion they used the same filter mount on all Corvettes as to why it's different on the Corvette, while the Camaro retained the standard oldschool small block mount, I don't know, perhaps the Corvette has clearance issues with nearly 4in diameter filters.

XG3980 is the part number for the Corvette LT1, which is reportedly identical to the LT1 in the Z28 in all ways except power rating. GM pulled the old "Corvette has to have the most horsepower" trick in 94, and rated the vette at 300 and the Z28 at 275. In reality the 94 Z28 made 275 at the rear wheels on a dyno.

I'll know and report back when the XG3980 arrives. Either it will fit or it won't. If it doesn't i'll get the one from Rock auto you linked to. Thanks much for the link.

I'll know and report back when the XG3980 arrives. Either it will fit or it won't. If it doesn't i'll get the one from Rock auto you linked to. Thanks much for the link.
From what was said earlier, the 3980 doesn't have the correct threads. Look at the thread info in the links given in posts #10 and #11.

Back