What is a Good Brand of Disposable Razor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paying approx $3.50 per blade for a Gillette Pro Glide Fusion is insanity. However, it does give a great shave. Want a GOOD disposable. Have tried Wilkinson disposables (stink), and Gillette Sensor razors (not so good, either). Ideas please?

For years I've had great luck with Schick Xtreme3 Comfort Plus disposable razors. They last forever. I got a 22 pack at Sam's Club a few of years ago. I still have 11 left, and I shave 5 to 7 days a week. I also use Edge gel shaving cream, that might also help with the razor lasting a long time.

Whimsey

Why not go double edge and get feathers or astra's? 20 cents for a better shave than either the 5 blade or the cheap disposable. There is a learning curve, but it's a week or so.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
For years I've had great luck with Schick Xtreme3 Comfort Plus disposable razors. They last forever. I got a 22 pack at Sam's Club a few of years ago. I still have 11 left, and I shave 5 to 7 days a week. I also use Edge gel shaving cream, that might also help with the razor lasting a long time.

Whimsey

+1... I like Schick Xtreme3 disposables, and I also use Edge shave gel. IME, the Xtreme3s last longer than razors costing 3 times as much.

I switched to using Dorco blades. You buy online at www.dorcousa.com. I use the 6 blade razors. Dorco supplies "Dollar Shave Club". This is their direct site and the prices are very good.

I found the key to a good shave is using a "face wash" before you shave and a good shaving cream. I'm using Proraso shaving cream right now which is outstanding. Expensive but a little goes a long way. Ever since i switched to this regimen, I've had the best shaves. The blades are lasting well over a month with me shaving 3 times a week.

Right now, I'll likely only have to order 8 blades a year. With the holder, that's only $16.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Thanks, guys. Was particularly interested on reading about "Dorco". Interesting name. Sounds like it's worth checking out. J

Schick Quattro Titanium disposables are great and the blade is made in Germany . You can extend your blade life by blotting them immediately after use. Microscopic rust and oxidation dulls razor blades faster than anything.
Amazon

I saw this thread and it reminded me I needed to place an order with Dorco, so thank you!. I switched from the Gillette Fusion to the Dorco Pace 6 a few years ago and I am very happy. I have to shave every day for work (General Orders) and in the past I used about 1 Fusion Blade a week. Subtracting a few weeks for vacation and various assignments I figure I was using 48 cartridges a year. The Fusion 16 pack at Sams is $46 around here. You can get the Dorco Pace 6 pack of 24 cartridges for $30 with this coupon code... OBSNZHL3

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Buy a safety razor.

Disposables are the dumbest thing to me.

Double edge safety razors are the best and cheapest. It takes your face a few weeks to adjust, but once it does, there's no going back (especially if you cut a neck artery...).

I gave the safety razor a try myself. Love it, not going back to the expensive cartridges. There definitely is a learning curve as mentioned though.

With safety razors, you have to use a quality cream that is very lubricious, since they have no lubricating strip. I find the best value combo is to use a homemade preshave oil made with caster and olive oils and tea tree oil. 5 drops with Aveeno therapeutic shaving gel has all but solved my face issues like ingrown hairs, acne, razor burn, razor bumps etc.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
With safety razors, you have to use a quality cream that is very lubricious, since they have no lubricating strip. I find the best value combo is to use a homemade preshave oil made with caster and olive oils and tea tree oil. 5 drops with Aveeno therapeutic shaving gel has all but solved my face issues like ingrown hairs, acne, razor burn, razor bumps etc.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_6rb56zqqtt_b

I love it. Great lather and a tube should last about a year.

I got a free Schick "Hydro" in the mail and it's probably the best razor I ever used. Not sure what the blades cost.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Whimsey

This above, shaving cream included. The best Edge gel is the orange can. A good 2nd choice from Schick is their Twin Sensitive skin disposable razors. Sold almost everywhere at places like Meijer, Target and Walmart.

For us sensitive skin fellas, two blades is enough. Use AFTA after shave conditioner, in the blue or green bottle. Just keep an eye on the AFTA Electric razor conditioner. That one is different and not intended for the disposable razors described here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back