What if you forgot to change your oil? YouTube video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy his videos. He gets into the details of various automotive subjects, without getting too complicated for most techies.

Interestingly he's made a few minor mistakes (I and others have corrected him) and in each occurrence he provided new videos with more accurate or more complete information, nice.

The question that never is answered in the video is, how long does oil really last?

There are a lot of bad things that happen when oil wears out, but how much of this will actually happen if I push a oil longer than the recommended interval?

I think it's clear ish that even the manufacturers of the cars don't really know that well what the best oil change interval is.

His early statement about it "not being OK" period if you don't change your oil on time, that is alarmist. There is always some cushion included in the manufacturer's recommended service interval. So your engine isn't going to blow up if you drive 100 miles or even 1000 miles beyond it. The point is to follow the service interval recommended for your driving conditions and type of driving/vehicle usage, then you will always have this cushion. One of my road vehicles does 7500-8000 miles each OCI when the manufacturer recommends only 5000 miles, because I'm using better oil and bigger filters than what's recommended, plus it nearly always sees light usage in clear conditions... and of course it's out of warranty. So that vehicle has a massive cushion and there are no problems at all with my extended OCI. But I do enjoy his videos
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back