What If Certain Automobile Features Were Subscription Based?

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by 4WD
Maybe for Navigation to add new roads and corrections/improvements collected along the way …
Have to be very reasonable …
I'm already paying for OnStar and XM …

Some nerds came up with open source maps, that update weekly, for popular Garmin and other brand GPSs
Governments do a lot of GIS work that's freely available. Shouldn't have to pay to upgrade, though if someone didn't want to DIY for whatever reason it could be a nominal fee.

As cities add more and more roads … it's harder and harder to move over 6 lanes and prepare to exit. And OMG, if you miss that exit you will be punished trying to get back to square 1.
I have built in and iPhone … but still keep a Garmin in the console … sometimes one is just plain wrong … the other is not.
(there is an intersection going to our rental condo … factory nav tells you to turn right and you'll just go in a circle because it's really a left !)

Doesn't appeal to me. But. Looking at my stable, does it seem like I'd be buying any time soon any vehicle that would have such a program? Methinks I'm not the target demographic.

Part of me feels a bit cynical and wonders if this really matters--don't most people pay a monthly fee for car ownership that is otherwise known as a car payment?

Automation level 4 and 5 will almost certainly be subscription services.

Level 3 probably updates fees.

This value add is how automakers will keep revenue flowing from already sold product.

UD

A multitude of different businesses involved in a multitude of different industries are trying to make everything possible subscription based. This is where the BIG profits are now days.

Back