What If Certain Automobile Features Were Subscription Based?

Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
2,205
Location
USA
Jalopnik posted an article about this a few days back. I hope this doesn't become the case and people boycott whomever thinks this is a good idea. This will turn cars into one giant subscription causing you to be nickel and dimed over everything. This could make inexpensive base model vehicles you purchase and xrive into the ground a thing of the past.
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2011
Messages
2,224
Location
Lyndhurst NJ
Thats a crappy way to increase their bottom line. I would search long and hard for a hack to beat the subscription, im sure there will be tons of that out there within a year or so.
 
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
12,505
Location
Illinois
It wouldn't be long until people figure out how to hack the ECU so that all the features are available to the owner. I believe there are already hacks for Tesla cars, so if others start offering subscriptions or the ability to unlock additional features it will not be long until third parties are doing the same for free or for reduced prices.
 
Joined
Jun 2, 2014
Messages
7,004
Location
Ca.
Originally Posted by PimTac
This is a idea BMW is floating. It could be a trial balloon. Would you pay a monthly subscription price for heated seats? Adaptive Cruise? https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...d-seats-into-a-subscription-service.html
A subscription car is one reason why teslas value is so high. Unified control lets you get there, where as a car with 10 disparate control systems can never really work under a sub. True " self driving" will ultimately be subscription based. UD
 
Last edited:
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
10,434
Location
Champlain/Hudson Valley
1) They say movies are pirated from within the studios.....inside jobs 2) They say all these bank account information "hacks" are actually sabotage or espionage.....inside jobs 3) Will work arounds for these subscriptions come from hackers or be snuck out the back door and sold.....like inside jobs? There'll be layers of security and verification. The poor get poorer and the rich become more insulated.
 

PimTac

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
23,222
Location
...
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by PimTac
This is a idea BMW is floating. It could be a trial balloon. Would you pay a monthly subscription price for heated seats? Adaptive Cruise? https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...d-seats-into-a-subscription-service.html
A subscription car is one reason why teslas value is so high. Unified control lets you get there, where as a car with 10 disparate control systems can never really work under a sub. True " self driving" will ultimately be subscription based. UD
Maybe so but the subscription will be or transportation and not to use the goodies. From what I read the typical subscription vehicle will be a high roof box type. Don't expect Corinthian leather.
 

PimTac

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
23,222
Location
...
Originally Posted by Kira
1) They say movies are pirated from within the studios.....inside jobs 2) They say all these bank account information "hacks" are actually sabotage or espionage.....inside jobs 3) Will work arounds for these subscriptions come from hackers or be snuck out the back door and sold.....like inside jobs? There'll be layers of security and verification. The poor get poorer and the rich become more insulated.
Kira the Conspiracist
 
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
38,129
Location
ME
This reminds me of Minolta's add-on cards for their autofocus film SLRs. You paid money to get different settings that the camera itself could have been programmed to do anyway. This isn't much different from allowing cruise control on a drive-by-wire vehicle.
 

PimTac

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
23,222
Location
...
The big problem that I see is that you cannot sell the car with these features even though you paid the monthly rate. Once you sell the features go away until the new owner subscribes. The car manufacturer will get a lot of revenue from that adaptive cruise control. It reminds me of Ma Bell and how they rented phones. ( those of you who are young will have to look this up)
 

4WD

$50 site donor 2022
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
19,651
Location
Texas
Maybe for Navigation to add new roads and corrections/improvements collected along the way … Have to be very reasonable … I'm already paying for OnStar and XM …
 
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
3,706
Location
utah
How much extra per month for a BMW to no break all the time? That would be a great feature!
 
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
38,129
Location
ME
Originally Posted by 4WD
Maybe for Navigation to add new roads and corrections/improvements collected along the way … Have to be very reasonable … I'm already paying for OnStar and XM …
Some nerds came up with open source maps, that update weekly, for popular Garmin and other brand GPSs Governments do a lot of GIS work that's freely available. Shouldn't have to pay to upgrade, though if someone didn't want to DIY for whatever reason it could be a nominal fee.
 
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
18,436
Location
NE,Ohio
in this case if i was the second owner or whatever.. I'd be disabling their call home, and hacking it. no updates no problem.
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2015
Messages
7,709
Location
New England
I buy used at 5 yr old mark and let the first sucker pay for it all and lose their shirt on depreciation This model would not be as much of bargain as those features plummet in value via depreciation .
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
7,901
Location
Atlanta,GA
I would never pay a subscription for static features like heated seats, adaptive cruise and auto-high beams. I would maybe consider paying for yearly OTA map updates to the NAV system. Navigation is a dynamic feature because you're paying for real-time information which changes.
 
Top