What if a sign twirler hits a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure if this was a general comment or automotive, but here goes....

I see these guys on street corners with signs advertising new homes, apartments for rent, or retail. Some call them sign spinners. I've seen some of them get rolling pretty well, and even drop them. However, what happens if they lose control and damage a car? Maybe scratch the paint. Maybe dent some sheetmetal. Probably depends on the material. I don't think they make that much, and who is responsible. I'm guessing they're paid as independent contractors.

I doubt it. Usually it's one of the employees that they send out there from what I've seen. They would just sue the restaurant chain or whatever company it is that is being advertised. You always go after whoever has the money. Obviously you're not going to sue the poor sign twirler making 8/hr.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I doubt it. Usually it's one of the employees that they send out there from what I've seen. They would just sue the restaurant chain or whatever company it is that is being advertised. You always go after whoever has the money. Obviously you're not going to sue the poor sign twirler making 8/hr.
+1

Turn it into your own insurance company and let them figure it out. A police report, however silly, will be demanded of you.

You stick their sign where the sun don't shine.
smirk.gif

business liability insurance

if the guy works for a twirling agency they may carry it. otherwise the business that hired him may carry it.

How heavy would those signs be to damage the clear coat if any car? It doesn't look all that heavy by the way they're twirling them. If anything, it's the distraction or them being hit by a car that could ruin anyone's day.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I think every case is different. Some of these signs are made with different materials. Some seem to be heavier such that the guy can do more involved tricks. If it was too light the wind or the breeze from a car would just blow it away, which isn't an issue if it's held securely. I've even heard of some competitions for these guys to perform tricks.

Here's a listing for jobs in this industry:

http://www.spinnerdudes.com/find-a-gig.html

The first listing specifically notes that the person will be paid as an independent contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back