What idiot installed these brake pads?

That is interesting. So maybe it's rare but not unheard of?

I wonder if the piston can compress in too far? During a pad slap, that is. Once the caliper is on, the wheel gets tossed on, and that jostling maybe allows the pad to slip down and out, and then this occurs. Seems far fetched to me, but if two people have seen it... not sure how else to explain.

What I find interesting is that it appears to have been working (?). Both pads are wearing. But I can't see the other side--is the other side just as worn, or are they hardly worn, indicating a dragging brake?
I think it happened when the brakes were opened on a previous occasion. I'm not sure if I felt anything when driving the car onto the 2 poster, but once up I feel the wheel bearings for play, turn the wheels for for grumblin noises and dragging brakes, and check the pad wear. I can't recall what made me take a closer look, though dragging was the most common issue.

btw, with sliding calipers, the brakes work just fine on one pad, as long as pressure can be built. The remaining pad is pressed twice as hard onto the disc, wears twice as fast though. Brake test rollers don't reveil stuff like this. They will if there's a piston on both sides though.

Rust buildup on the bracket.

Burrs on the pad backing plate, or excess paint. Rust buildup on the bracket does occur but is usually minor, and remving it makes it come back with a vengeance in my experience. If the pads fit with remving the burrs and excess paint, it's my preferred option.

i’ve seen this happen on old audis with girling rear calipers. somebody pushes the caliper down fighting the spring clips and it looks snug from outside but the inside is actually crooked.

this is a pretty extreme example

i had one of my shadetree guys come the store, claiming he does lots of brake jobs, but these pads just wore out, he installed both wear indicator, pads in the one side, screwed the pooch badly, instead of wear indicator on inboard pad on each axle

But wait, there's more. Putting the new pads in and notice that caliper isn't quite right. One outer ear has been eaten away.

IMG_8208.JPG

IMG_8209.JPG

Picked one out of my parts car stash to install instead,

IMG_8213.JPG

Clearly not the original pads, those wore down to the caliper then caliper was not replaced.

Back