What I saw at the speed shop ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
These were in the waiting room at Gearheads* where I had all my fluids changed ... they have worked on or modded all of them. The GT 500 is in the "Over 700 hp/tq range" with a warmed over 429 Police Interceptor engine.

GT_350.jpg

429_police_interceptor.jpg

mach_1.jpg

vette6.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I bet my C-Max gets better mileage
laugh.gif

I think with the GT 500, they measure it in 'gallons per mile'
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Did they hot rod the lawn tractor also?

LOL, I don't know, it WAS behind the ropes - so they may have

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I bet my C-Max gets better mileage
laugh.gif

Why do I think that you may partake in an alternative 'lifestyle'?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It is also extremely unlikely to make a real 700 hp. But it sounds good i bet...

That's my thought as well.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It is also extremely unlikely to make a real 700 hp. But it sounds good i bet...

We both know the hyperbole around "old" HP. I remember when my 300cforums guys all got together in Bradenton for a track rental. I was racing a new SRT8 Challenger (at the time), like an 08 or 09. We ran with and without canned tunes a few times testing our car's reaction to the newer tunes available versus the factory tune. Note that both cars ran nearly the same time tuned or untuned!

A guy with an old Super Bee 440 Drag Pack car was there. It was gorgeous and made the best noises you have ever heard! He claimed nearly 600 hp! When he rolled out for a practice run everyone was watching. He ran a 13.2 and only trapped like 108 mph. Sounded clean and revved out nice, but showed that even with significant mods there just isn't the same size horses under the hood of those older cars rated SAE Gross HP.

We both know the hyperbole around "old" HP. I remember when my 300cforums guys all got together in Bradenton for a track rental. I was racing a new SRT8 Challenger (at the time), like an 08 or 09. We ran with and without canned tunes a few times testing our car's reaction to the newer tunes available versus the factory tune. Note that both cars ran nearly the same time tuned or untuned!

A guy with an old Super Bee 440 Drag Pack car was there. It was gorgeous and made the best noises you have ever heard! He claimed nearly 600 hp! When he rolled out for a practice run everyone was watching. He ran a 13.2 and only trapped like 108 mph. Sounded clean and revved out nice, but showed that even with significant mods there just isn't the same size horses under the hood of those older cars rated SAE Gross HP.

Didn't they also dyno the engines OUT of the car as well, not taking into account drive train losses?

Originally Posted By: Don_M

Didn't they also dyno the engines OUT of the car as well, not taking into account drive train losses?

Both NET and GROSS were measured with the engine not in the car. The difference between the two systems primarily revolved around how the engine was dressed. The NET system was supposed to represent the engine setup like it would be in the car. The GROSS system ran open headers and no accessories amongst other things. This often resulted in a variance that could be as high as 30%.

The NET system received a few revisions over the years with the one in 1991 chopping 10HP off the 5.0L Mustang. The most recent incarnation (IIRC) is SAE "Certified Horsepower" which had the C6 Z06 as the first car rated using that system. It is not a requirement to use certified however, which has resulted, in many cases, in manufacturers being conservative with their numbers, as demonstrated by what the vehicles put down to the tires. The '03/'04 Mustang was one example of that, another, far more recent one, is the current crop of HellCat products from Dodge.

No respect for dyno numbers here. Seen too many wild variances across similar platforms. I watched an identical dyno return different numbers across a 4 hour period due to weather variations in barometric pressure.

But it is true that some mfgrs seem a bit optimistic with their HP numbers. Chrysler is extremely conservative, publishing only numbers that represent the worst conditions.

As an example my sig car is rated at only 425 HP but at the time and trap speed it runs it needs 450-460 to do so. Take a car to the strip and then use one of the many HP calculators online for some realistic numbers...

Last edited:
Take a car to the strip and then use one of the many HP calculators online for some realistic numbers...

Yup, MPH doesn't lie. Get your weight at the scales and plug your trap into the calculator and you've got a very good handle on what's actually being made.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back