What I have learned about oil filtration by reading this forum

I've been following this forum for a while now, and I thought I might sum up what I've learned, for the amusement and edification of all.
  • Filtration efficiency is the most important thing about a filter.
  • Flow is the most important thing about a filter.
  • Build quality is the most important thing about a filter.
  • You can tell certain filters are identical by opening them up and looking.
  • You can't be sure filters are identical by opening them up and looking.
  • Orange can Fram filters suck.
  • There is nothing wrong with Fram orange can filters.
  • Blue can Subaru filters suck.
  • Blue can Subaru filters meet factory specs and are fine.
  • Subaru bypass pressure spec is critical.
  • Subaru bypass pressure spec is irrelevant.
  • In general, the stock filter is best for your engine.
  • Stock filters are generally the minimum acceptable quality, so aftermarket is the way to go.
  • Champ ecore contributes to failure.
  • Ecore filters are just fine and improve flow.
  • Wix filters are the best choice for quality.
  • Wix filters have quality problems and will tear.
  • Purolator filters are reliable.
  • Purolator filters are not reliable and will tear.
  • Jobber filters' track record shows they are fine for modest OCIs.
  • Don't ever use jobber filters; it's taking your engine's life in your hands.
  • Cartridge filters, such as on Toyotas, are a functional regression.
  • Cartridge filters are great because you don't need to cut open a filter to inspect it.
  • Buying premium filters, even for short OCIs, is cheap insurance.
  • Buying premium filters is a waste of money for short OCIs.
And finally, of course:
  • Everything is about delta-p.
Did I miss anything? :D

To quote Eric O. of SMA, "opinions are like armpits, everyone has them and some are pretty stinky"

What I've learned from non BITOG, is an engineer from some OEM said that oil flow is more important than filtration...makes you think eh?

To quote Eric O. of SMA, "opinions are like armpits, everyone has them and some are pretty stinky"

What I've learned from non BITOG, is an engineer from some OEM said that oil flow is more important than filtration...makes you think eh?
Well, in an absolute sense, he's correct. That's why bypass valves exist - to give you flow even when filtration's impossible.

You forgot a few, like these misconceptions ... and there are many more.

Higher efficiency filters are more flow restrictive and therefore "reduce flow" to the engine.
Oil filters get more efficient the longer they are used.
Low efficiency filters are designed for "flow over filtration", and car manufactures chose "flow over efficiency" (there really isn't such a thing).
A new oil filter goes into bypass if the filter media is dry and not wet with oil (ie, during a start-up after an oil change).
An oil filter bypass valve has an effect on how the PD oil pump pressure relief valve works.
An oil filter bypass valve will always open before the oil pump hits pressure relief.
An ADBV is not needed if the filter is mounted vertical with the base up.

Well, in an absolute sense, he's correct. That's why bypass valves exist - to give you flow even when filtration's impossible.
The bypass valve is also there to prevent the filter from imploding if the delta-p becomes too high.

Everyone has their own bias and no one is going to change. Several years ago, Burger King attempted to compete with McDonald's by offering a 1/3 pound burger for less money than a McDonald's quarter pounder. It failed because most people thought a quarter pounder was larger than 1/3 pounder. This is why I don't bother trying to argue on the internet.

Um folks, proof is the Babbit, if dirt is there, filter is junk...............

Make little money and dump cars after 50K miles. think it about own 5 cars...............

Everyone has their own bias and no one is going to change. Several years ago, Burger King attempted to compete with McDonald's by offering a 1/3 pound burger for less money than a McDonald's quarter pounder. It failed because most people thought a quarter pounder was larger than 1/3 pounder. This is why I don't bother trying to argue on the internet.
Hate to say it-but the failed 1/3 pound burger was actually A&W-
My favorite in this thread is "the OEM filter is always better than any aftermarket filter"-until I point out that Ford DOESN'T EVEN USE THEIR OWN FILTERS AT THEIR FACTORY (Motorcraft)!

My favorite in this thread is "the OEM filter is always better than any aftermarket filter"-until I point out that Ford DOESN'T EVEN USE THEIR OWN FILTERS AT THEIR FACTORY (Motorcraft)!
That's the cue for a series of people to tell you the Motorcraft filter meets Ford specs and is sold by Ford dealers and thus counts as OEM.

I feel like someone is missing someone else's point in that kind of discussion, but I'm not sure which is which.

Factory filter is a Champ and Motorcraft are made by Purolator, is that right? Kind of like Subaru with their Tokyo Rokis and Frams. I can see the point that whatever the manufacturer sells and recommends is technically OEM, but on the other hand, if the factory filter isn't a Puro and the Motorcraft is, then functionally how is it not aftermarket? Seems like one of those discussions that get college freshmen all knotted up in philosophy classes.

Factory filter is a Champ and Motorcraft are made by Purolator, is that right?
The factory installed filter manufacterer seems to change over time. In 2015 I know the factory installed filter on a Coyote V8 was made by Wix.

I can see the point that whatever the manufacturer sells and recommends is technically OEM, but on the other hand, if the factory filter isn't a Puro and the Motorcraft is, then functionally how is it not aftermarket? Seems like one of those discussions that get college freshmen all knotted up in philosophy classes.
Motorcraft branded filters are technically OEM, even though a different oil filter is used on the factory production line.

Motorcraft branded filters are technically OEM, even though a different oil filter is used on the factory production line.
Exactly as I predicted. :D

I think it would be fair to say that Motorcraft is both OEM and aftermarket at the same time.

The filter that came on the engine from the factory (made by whoever Ford contracts) would be an OES part. The "Motorcraft" branded filter, even though made by Purolator, would be an OEM part. A filter branded "Fram", "Wix", "Purolator", etc would be an aftermarket part.

Back