What happens to used tires?

the rubber asphalt is smoother, as in the surface doesn't look like gravel. now that might just be because the asphalt hasn't disintegrated into gravel yet. it is nicer to drive on

More than 15 million used tires have been recycled for asphalt rubber projects!

In Arizona, the entire Loop 101 and SR51 freeways have been resurfaced with rubberized asphalt. Other area freeways – Interstates 10, 17, and the Loop 202 Red Mountain and Santan freeways also have sections resurfaced with rubberized asphalt.

I drove on some of these roads a few years ago, and apart from any other qualities that they have, they seem to be quieter than the standard paving.

The roofing industry is slowly starting to utilize used tires in the asphalt that’s used in shingles in a similar vein, or at least one brand is(Malarkey Roofing). A big plus - rubberized shingles get a higher impact resistance rating against big hail to 3 or 4 depending on how much rubber and what region/composition. Roofing asphalt is dramatically different than paving asphalt - it undergoes an oxidation step where air or oxygen is blown in. It’s called weathering asphalt. Caltrans is also using used tires in asphalt.

Somebody mentioned
Usable carcasses get shipped to 3rd world countries by the container load to be regrooved or retreaded. For a buck or two labor and a buck or two materials, you have usable tires they can sell for $15 or $20.
Also happens in first world countries and they cost way more than just $20. Kind of an interesting subject. I read an ADAC (Germany's AAA) article recently about the subject. There's more to it than just cutting new threads onto an old tire using cheap labour. Old tires are analyzed with penetrating lasers to check the carcass integrity, for example. But the article mentions some big downsides to retreads as well. Like a set of 4 retreated tires very likely consisting of more than just one brand of tire carcass, meaning each tire could have drastically different handling characteristics even though they look visually identical.

It's why I'll gladly pay the $2.50/ea tire disposal fee to the shop that swaps out my tires. Or wait for the 3x per year my town will come and pickup 4 tires per household curb side.

I couldn't imagine the resources required to break down an average tire into usable compounds given the way tires are constructed and the mixed materials used.

Pretty sure going all electric will solve it. Oh wait..

t.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: GON
Materials don't disappear just because you shoot a bullet into it. What are they going to do with the shot tire coming out of the pistol range?
Actually, the tires are first shredded to make the back stop, and that material, too, is recycled.

At our local indoor range, a specialty recycling company comes in, separates the rubber from the copper and lead, reinstalls the backstop, and keeps the metals for recycling.

In the early days of this, there was a problem with small bits of wire causing injuries; has technology resolved that?
Powerful magnets
They get dumped in the nearest vacant lot, at least around these parts. That's despite the fact that the county dump will take up to 4 tires for free per day from county residents. But nobody ever accused these people of being rocket scientists....
our area has no longer has a place that will accept them, unless you buy a tire.

They say no demand, can’t even pay to get rid of them so I list them as curb alerts on Craigslist

I don't how if that worked on fabric type of tire reinforcements, but it did on wire reinforced tires.
Steel-belted radials (which have additional steel in the bead) include other fibers in the carcass, most commonly polyester and polyamide ("nylon").

So we pay a Tire Disposal Fee, and they turn around and make money off it anyway?
Someone has to get it to whomever does the recycling - and that’s likely a middleman …
Tire dumping is a pretty hefty fine - and years ago I’d see piles of them breeding mosquitoes …

I use of few bags of the tire mulch here and there each year - and yet to see the first piece of wire …

Spent time in college as work study on research projects on best asphalt mixes and used tires ground up was one of them. We also looked at fly ash (waste from incineration) and other items for roads.

Back