What Happens To Used Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
In most locales, so long as you are connected to a public wastewater treatment plant, you can safely dispose of used antifreeze down the drain. It gets digested at the treatment plant.

Its a no-no if you are on a septic system or small neighborhood treatment facility.

Check with local authorities first!

I'm glad I got some answers from you guys. I've had this used antifreeze in milk jugs since march sitting in my room.
grin.gif
I went to autozone, advanced, carquest. most replies I got was "we don't take antifreeze" I said "where does all the used antifreeze go when you sell all these gallons of dexcool and prestone in your store" "They didn't know"
twak.gif

btw, there is a sewer right behind my house interesting enough. I guess that's not a septic system where it has to be emptied out?
Are there any mechanic shop owners out there that care to share where they dispose their used antifreeze?
wink.gif

[ July 01, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]

Cutehumor,
Most shops will have some company like CleanHarbors or SafetyClean come out to take their used coolant. Those companies will come to you, but the fee is usually based on the number of 55 gallon drums you have...not cost effective here.
What I'd suggest, if you're not connected to a muni water supply with a treatment plant, and if you have a good relationship with a garage, bring it there.
If you know the guys well enough, a few gallons here or there won't break them and will probably gain them a few points in your book.
As in my above post, I tried to bring it to a local garage, but he wanted to charge me $1.50 to dispose of it...well, guess what, he's never going to get my business for anything. If he was flexible and would have let me dump 5 gallons there, I'm sure I would have gone back for something else. People can be so shortsighted sometimes it amazes me.
Bogatyr

Look up disposal sites here

WARNING
Keeping anti-freeze in milk jugs could be dangerous. Anti-freeze can be DEADLY if ingested or at the very least cause brain damage. There was a young kid around here that got real sick (I am not sure but I think he finally died) from drinking anti-freeze someone put in a SODA pop bottle or something along those lines. If you got any kids around the house, don't keep it in milk jugs or any other containers. Dispose of it ASAP but don't throw it down the sewer or on the ground.

[ July 01, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
I'd say used motor oil is a lot cleaner than
crude oil.

Some crudes are heavy and black; some crudes are light viscosity and light amber in color. Used motor oil is carcinogenic and crude oil is not.

Ken

Careful - dump antifreeze only in a sanitary sewer when approved, not a storm sewer.

The line behind your house if it has open grates is a storm sewer. DO NOT DUMP ANTIFREEZE THERE! I am a water resources engineer, and that is a big no no - almost like dumping used oil down the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back