What happens to recycled oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it can be safely burned. I've heard used oil burners can also take in brake fluid and other assorted fluids. My local recycling center specifically says that only motor oil is OK. At other times the employees have told me that ATF or gear oil was OK, but brake fluid was never OK. I think they try to recyle it back to some sort of lubricant.

I've seen motor oil from "recycled" sources sold at Wal-Mart. Some brand called "America's Choice". Haven't seen it in a while. Perhaps the push to Group II oils means it's harder to get recycled base oil of sufficient quality.

The sign-in sheet at our local AdvanceAutoParts says that you can drop off used engine oil, transmission/gear oil and hydraulic oil/fluid. I assumed that brake fluid would fit into the last category, but maybe I'm wrong.

It did spcifically say that solvents, gasoline, paints, etc were not acceptable. It did not specifically mention brake fluid though (which would make sense if it weren't acceptable).

Gary

quote:

Originally posted by BigDenCCMD:

quote:

Over 90% of used motor oil is used for boiler fuel. Only about 5% gets re-refined.

What kind of boiler? The kind I have in my house or power plant?

From my link above:

"74% of all oil re-use/recycling in the U.S. is for burning in turbines, incinerators, power plants, cement kilns and manufacturing facilities (asphalt, steel, etc…). An additional 11% of used motor oil is burned in specifically designed industrial space heaters. This creates a valuable form of energy, which helps our economy by avoiding the need to refine new commercial heating oil from imported crude oil."

I used to rent warehouse space from a company that collected used oil from, primarily, gas stations and garages. They had one customer that they sold it to, an asphault company. I suspect this is typical.

Now that I think about it, the Rollins truck rental facility takes all their drained lubricants, filters them and dilute their diesel fuel 10% with the end product.

Perhaps one of our resident tribologists can tell us why used oil isn't simply mixed with incoming crude and run through the refinery that way.

It sounds so simple thatthere must be some reason it isn't the most popular way to deal with used oil.

Burned in ocean vessels engines once the ship is in international waters is another thing it is used for. Dan

quote:

Originally posted by DR Racing:
Burned in ocean vessels engines once the ship is in international waters is another thing it is used for. Dan

that would be called boiler fuel.

quote:

When I worked for AZ many moons ago, I remember the Saftey-Kleen man (that's who picked up AZ's used oil) told me that most of what he picks up is recycled into marine diesel fuel.

Tom, thats definately true down here on the gulf coast. Alot of used oil is mixed with recoverable oil streams from the lube plants creating a higher grade of fluid, and then sold for bunker fuel for the barges by companies like Safety Kleen.

A lot of Mom and Pop shops now have waste oil burners. My father has been thinking of using one for a while, but even with all the equipment and trucks, we just don't generate enough used oil in house to fuel the shop over the winter. We went to wood heat instead.

Boilers???

I though modern ships used diesel engines vs. boilers.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:

quote:

that would be called boiler fuel.

I have a related question.

Do the retailers that take in used oil get paid by the recyclers? Or do they have to pay the recycler a fee to get rid of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back