What happened to uc50ic4more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, a guy like uc50ic4more has not posted for I think something like two months. He was a regular poster in the Computer Section. One of the guys who promoted Linux operating systems. As far as I can tell, nobody has asked what happened to that guy. Which really surprises me because the guy was one of the guys who posted on a fairly regular basis in the Computer Section.

But on the other hand, a guy who was banned with good reason at this website is missed right away. Several guys are asking what happened to that guy.

Something does not seem right when a guy who had useful, productive posts seems like forgotten history but a guy who is banned with good reason is immediately missed.

Sometimes I'll do a Google search related to oil with "bobistheoilguy" in the search criteria. A bunch of names will pop up in the treads that I haven't seen post in several years.

I will be the first to admit that I had a lot of arguments with uc50ic4more. But he was a long time member at this website and he had a lot of interesting posts, especially in the Computer Section.

I try not to post in the Computer Section anymore. But I do sometimes check out some of the posts there. I happened to notice one day that uc50ic4more did not seem to be anywhere around even with subjects related to Linux being discussed. I kind of wondered about that.

And then about a month had gone by and he had not posted and I really started to wonder. What really surprised me was that nobody was asking where the guy was. It was not like he was some new guy who posted a few times and then left. I wondered if maybe some guys knew what was going on with him and that is why nothing was being said.

Well, now it has been two months. Maybe some guys do know something about the guy. I don't.

Like I said, I did not always get along with uc50ic4more. But he was a long time poster and had good posts in the Computer Section especially. And a while back some guys made a big deal about a guy who had been banned being missing. I think they started to ask about that guy maybe only about two weeks or so after he was banned.

So I got a little angry. A good poster is not even missed (unless some people do know what is going on with the guy) and a guy who was banned (for good reasons) is immediately missed. That is not right.

I was kind of second guessing myself posting about all of this. Maybe something happened to the guy (like his being ill or something) and people wanted to just keep it quiet. I am not trying to cause problems or anything. If something like that is the case I am sorry I did this post. But I totally know nothing about what happened to him. It seems like two months is a pretty long vacation. Or maybe the guy just decided to take a break from here. I don't know.

If guys wanted for nothing to be brought up about all of this than I am sorry to have posted.

People come, people go. Most discussion forums are a revolving door that sees very few users last more than a year or two.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

I was kind of second guessing myself posting about all of this.

FWIW, seems to me a reasonable concern and post.

I too hope all is well with him.

Larry

Johnny was one of my favorite posters here. Right before he was gone however he started to promote an oil supplement and he had always been against most supplements except for fuel system cleaners. So that was disappointing to me.

But he had worked for Pennzoil and knew a lot of stuff.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Not to worry, uc50ic4more was here Sunday for my 71st birthday with his wife and daughters.

You're 71?!?!?!
smile.gif

I am right here; usually checking in to lurk (apparently without getting automagically signed in) once or twice a week in the evening.

I am very, very busy this time of year as I am involved with a network of community gardens in my area (http://wegarden.ca). Mystic, if you think I drive you nuts with my advocacy for open-source software, you should hear me yammer until the cows come home about the wonders of community gardens!

I do not presume to be in possession of any knowledge or opinions worth posting anywhere other than Computers or General & Off-Topic, so I don't; remaining grateful that there is such a wealth of knowledge just sitting there for the taking!

Sometimes people take breaks from message boards for various reasons - I know I have taken a week or two away from this and other places on the web if discourse (of which I am always a part) becomes unproductive - and it is sure unsettling when people we feel like we got to know just up and disappear; and even worse when they seem to be replaced with members that might lower the quality of the boards. I sure like it here and never come away from time here dumber; and that is valuable. As soon as we start picking veggies instead of weeds I will have some more time to be less passive.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
People come, people go. Most discussion forums are a revolving door that sees very few users last more than a year or two.

I've been checking my mail box every darn day waiting for my "10 YEAR" pin.
smile.gif

EDIT: 9 YEAR. I woulda sworn I asked a few stupid questions here in '05. Maybe they were stupid enough that I changed my "handle" and re-registered?

Like I said, I did not always get along with uc50ic4more.

Yes you did! I am just the only one who knew it.
smile.gif

Thanks for expressing your concern and implying you have found some of my output and some of our exchanges useful. It made my day. I hereby and forthwith resolve to be easier to get along with.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I am very, very busy this time of year as I am involved with a network of community gardens in my area (http://wegarden.ca). Mystic, if you think I drive you nuts with my advocacy for open-source software, you should hear me yammer until the cows come home about the wonders of community gardens!

I'm going to give that site link to Monsanto. Maybe they can sell you guys some products.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Sometimes people take breaks from message boards for various reasons - I know I have taken a week or two away from this and other places on the web if discourse (of which I am always a part) becomes unproductive - and it is sure unsettling when people we feel like we got to know just up and disappear;

Isn't it ironically interesting that many complain that youngsters cannot survive without being always connected to the internet, but they may suffer from essentially the same anxiety when someone is away from an internet 1.0 forum for 2 months.

I am glad you are doing okay uc50ic4more.

I am afraid you may well be right when you say that as we lose older members there may be a decline in the quality of the posting here. Please understand I am not trying to put down newer members and some of the newer members are terrific. But some of the people we had here in the past seem almost irreplaceable. I still miss Bob and several others who have disappeared.

But people are certain to leave someday. I have been around a really long time here myself.

Johnny was one of my favorite posters here. Right before he was gone however he started to promote an oil supplement and he had always been against most supplements except for fuel system cleaners. So that was disappointing to me.

But he had worked for Pennzoil and knew a lot of stuff.

Glad uc50ic4more is fine! I like reading the posts of the long time members of this board. I remember the post you are talking about with johnny. Still there is a diffence in a member thats been here a month hawking a product, verses a 10 year or more veteran posting about a product.

Yes there is! Sometimes we see a brand new member posting about some product and seeming to promote that product. And immediately everybody has to question whether that person may have become a member just to promote that product.

I don't want to accuse anybody of anything, but it is kind of odd. And some of those brand new guys after posting about some product simply disappear not too long later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back