What happened to the real pickup trucks with regular cabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 3/4 or 1 ton with a short bed is just asinine IMO if you actually want to use your truck for truck things. My Ranger and Comanche are also long beds ( 7 ft ).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Roost426
A 3/4 or 1 ton with a short bed is just asinine IMO if you actually want to use your truck for truck things. My Ranger and Comanche are also long beds ( 7 ft ).

If you need to haul a lot of stuff you back up to your trailer. I rarely see much stuff in the bed of trucks unless it's an old beater running around picking up scrap metal or vegetables. A $2000 trailer walks all over your long box for doing truck stuff.

Originally Posted by CKN
Sorry Gents-I like my truck-
[Linked Image]

Dude you can't even close the tailgate on sheets of plywood. You may as well trade that in on a Chevy Spark.

I have mixed feeling on this. I will forever blame the shift away from the traditional pickup on the GMT400s. Fords and Dodges were real popular around here in the standard SCLB configuration into the early 00s. Never saw 1/2 ton GMT400s in that configuration, was always the extended cab short bed.

I like the traditional pickup. Looks most normal to me. I haul a lot of building supplies, so I always make full use of the 8' pickup bed.

But I can 100% understand the move away from it , from a practical standpoint. 4 door cabs allow you to fit the family in a truck comfortable while towing a trailer. Just like a crossover SUV, you end up with a vehicle that can do everything.

If I were to buy a new truck right now, I'd probably be consolidating the fleet and getting rid of my Subaru and the 350 for a mid size with a crew cab. Fiance, dog (german shepherd) and I can't fit in the F350 to all go on off road trips where we tow the Jeep. We're limited to the Subaru with a towing capacity of 1500 --- so even on travel trailers, we're limited to just popups.

A ranger/colorado/taco in crew cab configuration would work perfect for people and Jeep hauling. And when I need to pick up building supplies or make large dump runs, I have a fleet of trailers. Crewcab long bed would be awesome! ... but wouldn't fit anywhere.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by CKN
[Linked Image]

Dude you can't even close the tailgate on sheets of plywood. You may as well trade that in on a Chevy Spark.

smirk2.gif
Trucks are used to carry things other than sheets of plywood. Most large, bulky, heavy items in this world are NOT in the shape of a 4x8 sheet. I've had my truck for over 12 years and I've carried many large, heavy things in it that I need a truck for. Not ONCE in those 12 years have I ever needed to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood. And if I needed to haul some 4x8 sheets tomorrow, I'd load them up in my truck with no problem. Will they lay flat in the bed with the tailgate closed? No. Big freaking deal.

Contradicting what I said earlier, but I have found for drywall and plywood, I prefer using my Harbor freight trailer. Much easier to load and unload and I can move it around to where I need easily. My truck won't fit in my back yard or garage ... or work as a mobile staging area for setting up wood.

If i had a mid size, I'd put a nice cap on it and use it for dry storage and then trailer everything else

Originally Posted by exranger06
Originally Posted by CKN
[Linked Image]

smirk2.gif
Trucks are used to carry things other than sheets of plywood. Most large, bulky, heavy items in this world are NOT in the shape of a 4x8 sheet. I've had my truck for over 12 years and I've carried many large, heavy things in it that I need a truck for. Not ONCE in those 12 years have I ever needed to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood. And if I needed to haul some 4x8 sheets tomorrow, I'd load them up in my truck with no problem. Will they lay flat in the bed with the tailgate closed? No. Big freaking deal.
Your sarcasm meter needs calibration.

I've heard this before always thought it was laughable that others somehow pretend to be an authority on what I move around and need in a truck.

Never once hauled anything needing a long bed in the last 25 years, but towed plenty of heavy loads requiring a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave

I've heard this before always thought it was laughable that others somehow pretend to be an authority on what I move around and need in a truck.

Never once hauled anything needing a long bed in the last 25 years, but towed plenty of heavy loads requiring a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

UD

I have never needed extra space or a long bed. The space that is provided in my so call "short bed"-is quite sufficient. If you need extra space for some reason-a quick trip down to U-haul is what is needed. It's hard to see a long bed that can stay in between the lines in a parking lot.

This old beater gets a lot of work done and goes places trailers wish they could
cool.gif

[Linked Image]

Looks like she has had the big loads in the back. The typical broken back look shows it

No matter what the length of the bed, the 2 extra doors that some people never need, or use add a little over 2 feet to the length of the truck, hanging out in the little parking spots. And, they can't make a U-turn for crap. I have 6 neighbors with quad cab trucks, and have only seen them driving them, and not hauling much of anything I couldn't fit in my Camry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Traction
No matter what the length of the bed, the 2 extra doors that some people never need, or use add a little over 2 feet to the length of the truck, hanging out in the little parking spots. And, they can't make a U-turn for crap.

"What's the turning radius?"
"Yes."

Originally Posted by CKN
[Linked Image]

The main problem is that is a dinosaur. Ancient, old, and out of date, basically the Crown Victoria of pickups. He needs a 2020.

Originally Posted by Traction
No matter what the length of the bed, the 2 extra doors that some people never need, or use add a little over 2 feet to the length of the truck, hanging out in the little parking spots. And, they can't make a U-turn for crap. I have 6 neighbors with quad cab trucks, and have only seen them driving them, and not hauling much of anything I couldn't fit in my Camry.

What are you attempting to influence how others shall live? That works.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

I agree UD.....Can't recall needing a 8 foot bed. My 6'6" bed will haul 10' sheets of sheetrock just fine with the tailgate down. 8' sheets of plywood don't even stick past the open tailgate.
Hauling sand or utility rock will quickly exceed the payload capacity of a 3/4 ton truck if you fill a 8' bed.

When I do haul something longer than my trucks bed will handle.....It's also longer than what a 8' bed will handle.....Like 42' Bar Joists that barely fit on my 40' Gooseneck.

I would hate to give up the rear seat & doors, My seats usually stay folded down for tools, & straps.....If I didn't have that, I'd need one of those stupid toolboxes in the bed taking of 2 feet or better leaving 6 feet or less.

My 98 K3500 is also used to haul gooseneck trailers and that is where the single cab makes it super easy to see where the gooseneck tongue is in relation to the ball.

I would love to have a new fancy truck but I'm not paying the high costs to buy one. My fiancee's 2017 Super crew F150 4x4 stickered right at $50,000 and while it's a nice truck, it's not $50 K nice to me.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by CKN
[Linked Image]

The main problem is that is a dinosaur. Ancient, old, and out of date, basically the Crown Victoria of pickups. He needs a 2020.

Actually-the moment I saw pictures of the 2019 Silverado-I couldn't get to the dealer fast enough.....to buy a 2018.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This old beater gets a lot of work done and goes places trailers wish they could
cool.gif

[Linked Image]

Looks like she has had the big loads in the back. The typical broken back look shows it

6200 pounds of gravel is the most plus the weight of the insert which is probably another 1000, I scaled out at 14,200. That was to much they overloaded me. I try to keep most loads around 4-4,500. Pretty sure the frame isn't bent but she has a load on her there. I have seen OBS Ford's with pretty bad bed/cab alignment though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back