What Half Ton Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cheap truck might be the most expensive... You get it.
Perhaps check with friends and family for someone willing to part with a decent truck.
And live on Craigslist until you find what works for you.

Years ago I found a 2001 Tundra that is perfect, for under $7K.
It is probably worth about $5 on the market today.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Come west. Trucks dont hold much value out here for some reason.

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/calexico-95-ford-150/6779448940.html

Yeah most Ford pickups don't
lol.gif

https://visalia.craigslist.org/cto/d/ivanhoe-1986-ford-xl-f250/6787942538.html

Originally Posted by joegreen
Originally Posted by lancerplayer
I'm looking for a half ton pick up under $5,000

In my area (northeast Ohio), that typically means a early 2000 model with rusty frame/rockers and rough body. I will require an 8 cylinder motor and 4wd for our winter months (although this winter has been mild). Is there a make and model that proved to be the most reliable in this time period?

Look for something that is not desirable.

Yeah, the 4x4 is a real dealbreaker. At least you didn't list a 4-door cab as one of your requirements.

The best compromise would be a V6 and short rear gears like 3.9s... it'll still tow. Maybe even a 3/4 ton fleet truck that a town owned or something. GM made the 4.3 V6 for way longer than anyone cared to notice.

It's only a couple hour drive to the heart of PA-- they have inspections, you don't. Grab one of their heaps that flunked for rusty rockers and patch that mess up.

I'm about 5 years into my $600 F150 but it has 2wd and the 150 hp 6 cyl, yet still only 14 MPG.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by AZjeff
How many have done the fly & drive thing? Buying an unseen 15+ year old truck with fairly high miles and driving it 1000-2000 miles home at highways speeds has a real potential for on the fly repairs. Seldom is an old used vehicle better than you expected....

I did it twice. Fun.

Under 5k 4x4? You are going to have to get lucky.

A 4x4 pickup without rust or mechanical problems is simply going to cost more than $5k.

If you get good and lucky you might find a 200k mile reg cab work truck for that price but I promise you it will need some things fixed.

Good luck.

In my part of the world Ford and Dodge are much cheaper than Toyota and GM.

I would hit craigslist for an 80's model 2wd ford, chevy , dodge. Reg cab. Unless you live in mountains (Ohio?) you can manage on flat ground just fine in 2wd.

You could find that truck here well under 5K and trucks like that live forever without rusting.

In that price range the potential for a major engine and /or tranny issue is there. Meaning stick to a something that are engines/trannys are readily available through junk yards or other sources. My Montero needed a transmission and was incredibly expensive. I bought a used one and so far so good. GM and Ford tend to be the most common and inexpensive when there is a problem. Dodge probably not too far behind but less available as not as many are sold. Avoid exotic engines and transmissions. Less power options are probably a good thing too. Right now my Grand Marquis has 2 power windows that won't go up or down and I probably won't fix them. Use the money on my next cash vehicle purchase instead of throwing it at something on it's way out.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by AZjeff
How many have done the fly & drive thing? Buying an unseen 15+ year old truck with fairly high miles and driving it 1000-2000 miles home at highways speeds has a real potential for on the fly repairs. Seldom is an old used vehicle better than you expected....

I did it twice. Fun.

But you didn't jump on the fly and buy bandwagon. Most people probably don't want that kind of suspense. As far as Pa trucks, far south central would be best otherwise he's not gaining a thing from what he has at home. Why go to all that trouble for a little less rust??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back