What gives it the gummi bear smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

Just wondering as I've never really noticed this myself when I've sniffed GC. However, tonight I opened a jug of XD-3 (0w30) and it smelled like liquid gummi. Is it the PAO that does it?

It may have something to do with the type and the high content of the Calcium used. Other oils with a lot of Ca can have the sweet smell.

offtopic.gif
I recently bought some Manitou Prep-M grease(made in USA by Motorex Switzerland) for my mountain bike fork, & it smells exactly like green GC......weird.

quote:

Originally posted by rcy:
Just wondering as I've never really noticed this myself when I've sniffed GC. However, tonight I opened a jug of XD-3 (0w30) and it smelled like liquid gummi. Is it the PAO that does it?

Something is wrong with your nose because my Esso XD-3 0w30 does not smell fruity or gummi like at all. It smells worse than regular dino oil.

Castrol syntec does though, kinda like citrus.

I love this place!
cheers.gif
Where else could one find the syntax celebrating scintillating Syntec smells.
grin.gif

Once I thought a fragrant rose
Had subtly captivated my nose
But then I realized that the effects
Were coming from a bottle of SLX

Tell your wife we are not weird...we just respond to certain obligatory oily olfactory opportunities.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

Something is wrong with your nose because my Esso XD-3 0w30 does not smell fruity or gummi like at all. It smells worse than regular dino oil.

Castrol syntec does though, kinda like citrus.
[/QUOTE]

That's odd. I just opened the other two jugs I have in the garage (0W30) and they both smell slightly sweet as well. If I had to describe it, the best I could say is that it smells slightly like a ripe mango.

Maybe when my wife gets home from work I'll have her take a sniff and report back. Don't worry, she already thinks I'm strange. This will only reinforce that notion.

quote:

we just respond to certain obligatory oily olfactory opportunities

lol.gif

I am convinced they use an odorant that is an ester, but it is not the main complex ester used for FM and AW.

I have in my lab some complex esters and they have little or no smell to them.

But hey, those Gummie Bears have given their lives for less.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

It may have something to do with the type and the high content of the Calcium used. Other oils with a lot of Ca can have the sweet smell.

I use a high quality Ca additive and it does have a slight but faint fruity odor. Now my wife thinks I'm a little weird as well.
wink.gif

A high quality calcium additive, with a fruity flavour...hmmm, not a nice Tasmanian blue Camembert ?

Some Haribo's are bound to fall in the mixing vat when the elves are snacking on them.

It's guys like all of you that make me glad I am part of this board! There is hope for the marriage of art and science yet!!!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back