What Gear Oil for Subaru 5MT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
This is going to be a long post due to the backstory involved here. The short of it is that I'm trying to find a gear oil that will work in the 5MT in my 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. I'm going to provide a little knowledge about the tranny, since it's kind of odd, and talk a little about what I've already tried.

First of all, the Subaru 5MT is an odd little beast. The manual calls for a 75w90 GL-5 oil. The same oil bath lubes the front differential (with hypoid gear), the center differential, and the gearbox/synchros. The 5MT is a failure prone gearbox and the Subaru community regards it as VERY picky about the oil you feed it. Most people have little to no success with synthetic gear oils such as Motul, Mobil1, Royal Purple, etc. The commonly held belief is that this is because the synthetic oils are too slippery for the synchros to function though, as I'll explain below, I have reason to doubt this.

I personally have used a traditional dino 75w90 gear oil, the Redline 75w90NS gear oil, and a crazy mix called Uncle Scotty's Cocktail (consists of 1qt Penzoil Synchromesh, 1qt Redline Lightweight Shockproof, and 1.7qts Castrol 80w90 Hypoy C gear oil). I haven't been happy with any of these in the long run. The OEM dino oil fill was very thick on cold mornings and too considerable force to shift the gear lever. The Redline 75w90NS was glorious at first, performing wonderfully, until at about 5,000mi it started to become hard to push the switch gear into the new gear. It was like the synchros weren't causing the box to equalize and therefore weren't allowing it into the new gear. The Cocktail has allowed for consistent shifting, but it feels like #@$%!, it a bear on cold mornings, and the box just feels overall "sticky".

Looking for something better, I contacted Redline. Dave at Redline recommended that I try the 75w90NS. I replied with my personal experiences using it and brought up the Cocktail I now have in the tranny. He found this very interesting because his calculations showed that the Cocktail actually had less friction than the 75w90NS. This goes against the conventional wisdom in the Subaru community that the 5MT dislikes synth oil due to slipperiness. He then told me that at the operating temperature of that transmission the Cocktail was significantly thicker than the 75w90NS. I began to wonder then if the problem with the synthetics many people had been using was that they were too free-flowing. This would explain why most dino oils would work (they'd be thicker at the relatively low temps in the 5MT) as well as why people who are running Redline Lightweight or Heavyweight Shockproof are having good results (again, thicker at operating temps).

What do you guys think of the theory so far?

Since I absolutely loved the 75w90NS with the exception of the eventual hard shifts, I was wondering if using a majority of 75w90NS and then adding a bit of 75w140NS to it to thicken it up a bit would be a worthwhile experiment? What about 75w90NS plus either Light- or Heavy- weight Shockproof?

Just looking to bounce some ideas off people who know more than I do!

Thanks guys,
Ty Williams

Have you tried the Subaru Extra-S fluid? Or the Silkolene Syntran SYN5?

I use the Specialty Formulations MTL-R gear oil in my 2005 Legacy, and am satisfied with it. On cold mornings it is a little bit too viscous, but still better than what was in the trans from the factory.

Has anyone ever done a VOA and UOA on the "cocktail"?

I haven't tried the Extra-S due to the HUGE quantity it comes in. I REALLY want to try the MTL-R, but SF is closed.

AFAIK, no one has done any analysis on the Cocktail

Quote:

Have you tried the Subaru Extra-S fluid? Or the Silkolene Syntran SYN5?

I would have gone the Subaru Extra-S route if I could have bought a smaller amount than a 5 gallon bucket.
I have a STi and like the Valvoline 75w-90 that I am running right now- at under $5 a quart, it's cheap too.
twocents.gif

OK, so I poked at Shell's calculator, and a 75% 75w90NS - 25% 75w140NS blend would come out to:

new viscosity 110.9
viscosity at 40°C 110.9
viscosity at 100°C 17.9
viscosity index 179
Redwood viscosity at 140°F or RED1 373
Saybolt Universal viscosity 100°F or SSU 1,635
Molecular Weight 739

Whereas a 50:50 blend would come out to:

new viscosity 130.1
viscosity at 40°C 130.1
viscosity at 100°C 20.5
viscosity index 181
Redwood viscosity at 140°F or RED1 458
Saybolt Universal viscosity 100°F or SSU 2,069
Molecular Weight 785

What weights do those work out to? I can't find a table anywhere converting cSt to weight.

Is this what you are looking for? J306

Looks like your blends are in 75W-90 and 75W-110 territory. Has anyone tried Amsoil SVG 75W-90, Amsoil FGR 75W-90, Amsoil AGL 80W-90, Amsoil SVT 75W-90 or Amsoil MTG 75W-90?

Look at the specs:

SVG 75W-90
FGR 75W-90
AGL 80W-90
SVT 75W-110
MTG 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid

I do know transmissions are quite particular, I also know factory choice is not always the best choice. Amsoil recommends the first three above. I'm not so sure. I would love to see how the SVT and the MTG do, but have no feedback on the others.

A lot of people on the NASIOC forum have tried the SVG and have had grinding issues with it. No data on the rest.

Yes, that chart is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thanks! So if the 3:1 mix will be at the upper end of the 75w90 range, and the 1:1 mix will be lower end of the 75w110 range, I wonder which I should try first?

I'm inclined to say the 1:1 mix because it's the thickest and therefore the most likely to solve the problem if thickness is the issue. However, how do you know when gear oil has become too thick to protect properly?

OK, so now I realize I have one piece of the puzzle still missing! Does anyone know the typical operating temperature of the oil in the Subaru 5MT, or of splash lubricated manual transmissions in general?

Well, this doesn't exactly help, but I did have fairly good results with MTL-R in my Subie 5-speed (it was a '91 XT-6, but same tranny design). I also liked the 75W90NS fairly well though, so maybe the trannies are different enough that comparisons are out the window.
You could pick up an infra-red temperature gun at the store to answer your temp question. I bet they don't cost much these days, and a reading from the transmission housing after a nice, long run should be pretty close to what the oil temp is.
Does your manual spec GL-5 fluid like mine did? I always shied away from even trying any of the many manual trans fluids out there specifically because they're all GL-4 (except the RedLine and SF fluids. Are there others that are GL-5?) and I didn't think that slightly better shifting was worth eating the hypoid gears up.
Truthfully, nothing I tried was outstanding after it'd been in for a few to several thousand miles, but the RL and SF were good. Perhaps some of the issue is the transmission itself rather than all fluid issues?

I hadn't considered that the oil and the transmission case would probably be the same temperature. I'm so used to things being insulative enough that you have to measure temp on the inside, but I suppose a big hunk of metal isn't likely to be colder on the outside.

As far as differing experiences with different years of 5MTs, I actually think that the problem is that the tolerances are terrible and there's a huge amount of unit to unit variation.

There's a goodly number of GL-5 oils available now, it's just that the 5MT hates most of them. Like I said, people on NASIOC have spread the idea that the tranny doesn't like slippery oils. I suspect that the truth is that it doesn't like thin oils.

97 legacy 5spd.

used syngear synlube II, years ago. full synth. front transaxle, rear diff. averaged .5-1.0 mpg increase consistently. 2nd gear was hard to reach when cold, but once warm all was great!

THAT TRANS REWARDED A LIGHT TOUCH!!! It did not reward firm pushes/pulls into gear.If you can dvelop the feel used for clutchless shifting, then apply that feel everyday with normal shifting, it will become smoother after a few weeks. In my experience, driver finesse turned out to be much more important than oil type.

Mike

btw- that synlube II did NOT have limited slip modifiers, which some preferred back then for better synchro bite.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back