What Fuel Additive should I add my fuel that is over 18 months old ?

It can actually be hard to drain fuel out of a tank. Aside from the restrictor flap nozzle, I don't think you can snake a siphon down into the filler neck without running into something; i could be wrong, but I've read that...??? Others????
Many vehicles have a filler tube with an anti-siphon feature in it, so you just take the filler tube off at the tank and put the sipon hose in at the tank nipple.

How much old gas is there? I have a few gas cans so what I would do is siphon out all the gas you have cans to hold, then if there's a lot left in the tank, dispose of that gas and have the cans empty to drain the tank more, then put a gallon of fresh fuel in, then drive it straight to a gas station, fill it up, and put some Techron fuel system cleaner in too.

No point to adding fuel stabilizer AFTER it has sat 18 mos.

By having premium in it already I dont think you have anything to worry about. That engine specs 87-89 so even if you lost a couple numbers you would still be in good shape. I would be trying to put some more miles on it before you take it out on the road for a long trip. I know most dont buy the break in period any more but I still believe that varying speed and load during the first 1000-1500 miles is a good idea to make sure everything is seated. Running at constant speed on the highway is a very low load on the engine and does not promote a good engine break in.
I plan to put at least another 600 or 700 miles on it driving around going to a couple of doctors appointments and maybe taking my wife out to eat dinner or lunch. Having appointments and doing miscellaneous travel the miles will rack up quick.

Despite what any additive manufacturer might say there’s no way you’re going to reverse the effects of oxidation and age in gasoline. As already noted diluting it with fresh gasoline is the only thing you can do or drain it out.

Despite what any additive manufacturer might say there’s no way you’re going to reverse the effects of oxidation and age in gasoline. As already noted diluting it with fresh gasoline is the only thing you can do or drain it out.
I have found that gas in ATVs that is old and won't run decend is corrected and run great after adding seafoam to the gas. My go too for older stale gas and for fuel stabilization.

If it runs, it runs.

Get through the old fuel (shouldn't take too long with the 5.7) and then fill up with fresh fuel.
This is exactly what I was going to recommend. Maybe a can of Techron when you refuel with fresh fuel.
BTW I'm happy you're feeling better.

Back