What filters are you guys using on 3.6 pentastar

I have done every oil change so original was Mopar, Fram Ultra, then Mobil I. I have 6 or more Mobil I filters left from Walmart clearance I believe was 2.00 each. I bought all they had. I snug cap never torque it.

Napa Platinum is on sale this month for $5.99, even the cartridge filters
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Apparently Fram Ultra cartridges aren't very good. Just stick with the regular ones (or Mopar or Napa) especially if you aren't doing OCI's more than about 8k.

Never had a problem with ours.

With that being said, I use Fram Ultra's on ours. I also never torque the cap down, just tightened it till the flanges touch.

I bought a bunch of Mobile 1 filters for the Jeep and change the oil at 5,000 miles and the filter about once a year which is about 10,000 miles. I always worry about the housing leaking but so far I have not had any problems. I really like the engine.

Mopar filter in my '16 JK.
I get them from my local dodge dealer for 6 and change.

I have used Wix filters since day one on the wifes Jeep GC 3.6....I buy them off rockauto for like $4 and add a few to my cart whenever I can combine my shipping for the current purchase. Good filter and the $4 is reasonable.

I've thought about doubling the filter change time. I think the 3.6 is easy on oil. I do it on my JK 3.8 with Ultra filters and they come out looking great after 12k. But, with 12 clearance Walmart M1 filters on deck, I just can't bring myself to go 16k on them.

If I were wealthy, I'd run an Ultra or M1 and stretch the M1 AP out to 20k and see what the UOA showed. But I have a lifetime warranty, so OLM decides it. I ran 7500 on the AP/Ultra combo and the oil came out in great shape with no sign of falling off. I think it could have gone much further. And, btw, I don't baby this engine. I run it hard. That 7500 mile run included a lot of rock crawling and also twisty road driving going through the gears and seeing a lot of high RPM.

I really love this engine, especially mated to the 6 speed manual in the JL. It is just a sweet combo.

For my 2016 JK, our local Walmart has the Mopar OEM MO-349 filters for @ $7.00 each. I figure that IF something happens while it's still under warranty, no one can complain I'm not using 'factory parts'.

Otherwise, I'd opt for NAPA Gold as a #2 backup.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Apparently Fram Ultra cartridges aren't very good.
How so?

I've used Mopar, Wix and now using Fram Ultra.

On the Ultra I'm using them for 2-3 OCI for 25,000 Km or 15,000 miles. No issues with any of the filters besides twisted media.

Originally Posted by stenerson
I've done about 7 changes so far on my 2018 Ram 1500/pentastar 3.6..... I've used stock filter. I know I'm thinking like a cheapskate but there's not much to these canister filters. No metal casing, fancy springs or valves but at 10 bucks a pop seems illogical.
I noticed at Wallyworld today that supertech has a compatible one for 3 bucks. Fram xguard has a "synthetic" one rated for 20K for 11 bucks. I'm not going crazy yet with extended miles on changes so not worth it.
Interested to hear what others here use on their 3.6.
I dig the ease of these canister filters, easy access and less mess.
Another question, with filter removed that canister housing seems easier and less mess to add oil there instead of the usual fill hole. Is that a problem?

Originally Posted by stenerson
I've done about 7 changes so far on my 2018 Ram 1500/pentastar 3.6..... I've used stock filter. I know I'm thinking like a cheapskate but there's not much to these canister filters. No metal casing, fancy springs or valves but at 10 bucks a pop seems illogical.
I noticed at Wallyworld today that supertech has a compatible one for 3 bucks. Fram xguard has a "synthetic" one rated for 20K for 11 bucks. I'm not going crazy yet with extended miles on changes so not worth it.
Interested to hear what others here use on their 3.6.
I dig the ease of these canister filters, easy access and less mess.
Another question, with filter removed that canister housing seems easier and less mess to add oil there instead of the usual fill hole. Is that a problem?

I have been trying cheaper options on my charger. The cheapest ones that don't twist for me are Purolator Ones and Carquest Premiums. I have a wix do in now for the winter but I use cheaper for my summer change. Before the virus we were averaging almost 30k miles a year

Back