What filter to go with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all-

My wife has an 08 Chevy Suburban. I scored 6 gallons of Q horsepower and use the OLM on her Suburban, so I get about 7-9k out of the oil. The past three changes I have used AC Delco filters and just wondering if I should be using something else?

Kevin

AC Delco standard filters are good filters and will work fine in your vehicle. I use WIX or NAPA Gold (same filter), but the difference is probably not worth the money. Blackstone Laboratory said they rarely see any difference in oil analysis due to the oil filters.

The Delco standard filter went for 200,000 miles in Corvette testing without a problem.

Last edited:
I think that your current choices should be fine.
I personally prefer a Wix/NG or PureOne for anything over 5k, but that's just me. Use what makes you happy.
Nice Score on the QS.

Justin

Originally Posted By: KevinsDMAX
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Thats pretty thin oil - hope you dont get piston slap.

What is this about?
He forgot to take his meds.

I was wondering ....I didn't even see a viscosity mentioned by the OP.

btw- a lot of what is called piston slap can be soft piston deposits hitting the valves. It onsets and retreats in the same manner that piston slap does. It's called CCDI (combustion chamber deposit interference).

Follow the OLM. It's a great invention.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I was wondering ....I didn't even see a viscosity mentioned by the OP.

btw- a lot of what is called piston slap can be soft piston deposits hitting the valves. It onsets and retreats in the same manner that piston slap does. It's called CCDI (combustion chamber deposit interference).

Follow the OLM. It's a great invention.

i am going to guess if hes using oem viscosity its 5-30

I figured that, but couldn't dial into the same portal address that ARCOgraphite used to remote view the oil bottles.

Well, it's not a thin oil. Your filter selection is fine ..especially with the OLM reading all insults in operation. Use a Wix, ST, Purolator ..whatever you want. I'd avoid rewarding cheapness by buying the standard Fram. The aftermarket OEM AcDelco is fine.

What is this about?
40 deg cSt of 58 vs. motul 8100 LL01 with a cSt@ 40degC (104F) of 73. The minimised skirt piston utilised on this engine are prone to noise, slap, oil usage, failure. Possibly they addressed this issue with your newer model. I ran this oil in a large 4cyl and found it to cacophonous, and out it came in 2 days to be burnt in the used-oil burner. Money well spent.

Last edited:
I figured that, but couldn't dial into the same portal address that ARCOgraphite used to remote view the oil bottles.
I just made the assumption he would run the spec oil on his filler cap? I know that's absurd around here ...

Gary- any particular engine prone to this? - I am aware of the negative deck engines squish-zone hitting the head but not the valves. Seems there would be too much clearance there typically, unless they (valves) fly off-the-cam profile at high rpm.

Originally Posted By: RTBandit

What is this about?
He forgot to take his meds.
Thanks for the attack without expanding the conversation. I suppose you never heard of the failed GM v8s due to piston slap?

Gary- any particular engine prone to this? - I am aware of the negative deck engines squish-zone hitting the head but not the valves. Seems there would be too much clearance there typically, unless they (valves) fly off-the-cam profile at high rpm.

(with a big smile ..make that a grin)

So we can find a mass graveyard full of these engines ..sorta like all the modular engine that should be grinding into paste with using 5w-20 any day now??

That is, an OEM spec on a very popular engine, sold by the multiple gross, that was just all wrong
54.gif

I think most people are afraid to FLOOR their throttles on their engines - I'm not. Therefore it gets used up faster, maybe. Funny that I never had issue with any of my past flogged fiat engines on SF, SG oils. On to the 20wt conumdrum: Say you have carbon on your deck, then you decide to run 20wt in a 30wt spec motor. One wk later, you have to take the spouse to the ER for a earache at 3am, and you end up redlining the car multiple times on the 10 mile drive due to the automatic kicking down into 1st at 30mph. Tomorrow you have a rod rap and a blown HG. Or maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back