What exactly is "COVID-19 Disinfect"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the best comparison is when you see the porters at the dealerships washing cars with that course mop looking thingy that's been repeatedly dipped in the filthy bucket of water, after numerous cars have been washed with it. I know members here with really nice high end expensive cars would have a cow if they saw their cars being washed in that fashion.
Just mention to them that you noticed the disinfect thing and would prefer they not use any chemicals. They probably weren't going to anyway.

I guess the best comparison is when you see the porters at the dealerships washing cars with that course mop looking thingy that's been repeatedly dipped in the filthy bucket of water, after numerous cars have been washed with it. I know members here with really nice high end expensive cars would have a cow if they saw their cars being washed in that fashion.

IDK but you are going to the wrong dealerships. I've have my complaints but all in all I have tended to see guys doing their best to make sure the car is somewhat immaculate as CSI is the the life or death of any dealership. Some even outsource to professional detailers to avoid the mop bucket scenario...

^^That's what I'm thinking.

It's no different than Hilton hotels having their Lysol partnership to "distinfect rooms".

But when I last stayed in a Hilton, every common surface had fingerprints, presumably from the housekeeping staff who clearly weren't cleaning with gloves because fingerprints were left behind.

It's all to appease the people who have become serious germophobes since last year..

It's just an extra charge to clean it a bit more.

Last summer I took my grandpa's Jeep to the car wash for a full service cleaning. They tried hard to upsell me on the disinfectant spray against germs and viruses. But I explained over and over again that it had only been driven twice in the past 2 months, and I was the only one in it.

It's just an extra charge to clean it a bit more.

Last summer I took my grandpa's Jeep to the car wash for a full service cleaning. They tried hard to upsell me on the disinfectant spray against germs and viruses. But I explained over and over again that it had only been driven twice in the past 2 months, and I was the only one in it.
Thank you Nick! (y)

That's what I was looking for, someone who has had first hand experience with this mystery service. My main concern was having someone wipe down my leather seats and interior plastics with some harsh and/or strong smelling solvents.

Reason I ask, my car got hit by some dumbass sometime over the past weekend, either at the hotel we were staying at or the club we went to. The rear bumper got scuffed up from the passenger side over to the rear middle. Tried to get video surveillance footage, but nothing incriminating was found.

I got a bodyshop estimate today. Damages came to $1006.04. My deductible is $250. My insurance lists it as a "hit and run" where I'm at zero fault, so therefore I will suffer no penalties. They will also compensate me for "diminished value" if and when I ever sell my car. The body shop listed in the estimate, "COVID-19 Disinfect". What exactly is it and what do they do? If it involves any harsh solvents, cleaners, or chemicals that can possibly damage my leather interior or plastics, I do NOT want that done.

Thanks in advance!!
Wouldn't it be easier to ask the body shop?

The only people that can answer this is the shop.

What it is depends on what the shop is doing. Some are quite serious, some are quite lax...

Wouldn't it be easier to ask the body shop?
Like with everything in life,I like to be the “informed and educated customer”. No one should ever walk into a place totally clueless. As well as you’d never want to ask questions while being completely misinformed.

After all, isn’t that why we’re all here? To discuss all things “automotive”.

Reactions: pbm
Like with everything in life,I like to be the “informed and educated customer”. No one should ever walk into a place totally clueless. As well as you’d never want to ask questions while being completely misinformed.

So what is it then that the shop does to disinfect. I'd go with the above mentioned shot of lysol.

So what is it then that the shop does to disinfect. I'd go with the above mentioned shot of lysol.
I’ll ask this girl that I know who works there (if she even knows) and I’ll post here what I find out,if anything.

Just talked to her, she said they basically wipe everything down with a disinfectant. She said just tell them you don’t want it done (which I don’t) and they won’t do it.

If they use anything it's probably pretty mild. They don't want to damage any screens or stain anything.

It may just cover the additional cost of steering wheel covers, seat covers, sanitizer, etc. This is a pretty standard thing on estimates now. I see a fair number of insurance estimates because body shops will just send a copy of it to order parts and that's basically always on there. What's the insurance company going to say? No? Probably not right now.

Our upsell chemical company came out with some sort of disinfectant product that is a powder in a bottle, applied with some kind of application thing. Apparently the process is more convoluted than the techs want to deal with. I added it to the tech's recommendations as a joke on a random used car inspection, and the service writer actually got it approved, but then the shop foreman brought the bottle back and said they couldn't figure out how to use the applicator device. Oh well, I tried.

BTW, if you bring in a clean car, as I'm sure yours is, they aren't going to waste a bunch of time and product dousing it in cleaner. If they are using a chemical or something, most of it's going in the car with fast food bags for floor mats and some kind of infestation.
I am shocked our MOC snake oil peddler hasn't tried to push something like that on us.

As long as they are not spraying isopropyl alcohol everywhere in the interiors it is probably okay. They might just be wiping down with the same antibacterial wipes you see at grocery stores for the carts. When you get home give things a quick wipe down with your chosen cleaner/protectant.

OK, we’ve wandered into medical advice, politics, and conspiracy. The OP question, “what am I being charged for?” is no closer to being answered. Lock time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back