What Exactly Is A "Crude Oil Engine" ??

I got this link sent to me from Amazon. I've seen small, one cylinder Diesel engines before. They're quite common, and many were listed with this one.. But I've never seen a small, single cylinder, "Crude Oil Engine" before. Only massive ship engines that are the size of a small house. Do these things actually run on bunker crude oil? Where would you even buy that? I've never heard of "#0 Diesel". Let alone seen it for sale.

And it's got to smoke and stink like crazy. If you started one up in California, they would call out the Special Forces and the Marines. It's got to be about as environmentally friendly as an open air nuclear reactor. Has anyone ever seen one of these things, or know anything about them?

Pretty sure that might just be Chinglish for 'Diesel'

I though that as well. But they list all of the Diesel engines as such. This is listed as a, "Crude Oil Engine". In the specs it shows "#0 Diesel" as it's fuel type. Is that similar to Bunker Crude? That stuff is almost like tar.

Dad has an older Japanese built Ford tractor. Says diesel/ fuel oil on the fuel cap. Probably just the way it’s worded in other parts of tne world?

I can’t see a Chinese diesel running well on anything out of the ordinary. I’ve been tempted to try one of those out on my log splitter, but for $250, I could buy a few “Chonda” engines if the need ever arises. Cold starts would be another concern as I use it in all temps.

Ships don't run on crude oil either, they run on residual (heavy) fuel oil or intermediate fuel oil, which are refinery outputs just like any other fuel.

I agree that this is likely a translation error - it says "Diesel" right on the engine.

I got this link sent to me from Amazon. I've seen small, one cylinder Diesel engines before. They're quite common, and many were listed with this one.. But I've never seen a small, single cylinder, "Crude Oil Engine" before. Only massive ship engines that are the size of a small house. Do these things actually run on bunker crude oil? Where would you even buy that? I've never heard of "#0 Diesel". Let alone seen it for sale.

And it's got to smoke and stink like crazy. If you started one up in California, they would call out the Special Forces and the Marines. It's got to be about as environmentally friendly as an open air nuclear reactor. Has anyone ever seen one of these things, or know anything about them?

It's just a diesel engine. However, being a non emissions diesel, you'll still have special forces knocking on your door for firing it up in Ca

Crude oil has an extremely wide set of properties. Light crude from the Permian basin is probably approaching something you could run in that engine. Heavy crude from the oil sands would need to be diluted with condensate to ever get to that viscosity. There is no shortage of Mom and Pop stripper wells in North America, especially at $85/ bbl but I can’t imagine someone wanting such an engine. Maybe some farmer is running a feed chopper set up with used engine oil.

IMO 2020 came into force two years ago, reducing sulphur content in ocean going ships. This ain’t your grampa’s Bunker C fuel oil.

D22E3332-881B-4388-ABA5-B64B5F08D2E8.png

Last edited:
Bunker oil to my understanding is heavy oil, usually classed as #4 to #6. Kerosene would be #1 and standard road fuel diesel/home heating oil is #2.

From what I've understood, is that Bunker Crude was so thick and heavy, it had to be heated before being pumped into the engine.
correct, #4 might be usable without heating but #6 has to be heated. Sometimes they'll cut it with lighter fuels to reduce viscosity as well.

Could be they are aiming at being an engine to run an oil well but I would think if you still had an ic engine on an oil well it would be running off well gas.

to me that description means a flywheel engine like an old lister or blackstone which can run on a variety of oils - palm oil coconut oil, waste cooking oil, diesel, old motor oil really almost anything flammable can be made to run in them

These are actually really awesome if set up right and will run for untold hours reliably.

to me that description means a flywheel engine like an old lister or blackstone which can run on a variety of oils - palm oil coconut oil, waste cooking oil, diesel, old motor oil really almost anything flammable can be made to run in them

These are actually really awesome if set up right and will run for untold hours reliably.

That's more or less what I was thinking about when I saw that engine described as a "Crude Oil Engine" among all of the Diesels on the same page. Some type of a "hit and miss" engine.

Bunker A = Marine Diesel

Bunker B = Medium Viscosity that has to be cut.

Bunker C = Heavy Viscosity that has to be heated.

Bunker C is used by oil fired power plants in the USA so a source exist.

I suspect the engine in question actually specifies Bunker A.

From what I've understood, is that Bunker Crude was so thick and heavy, it had to be heated before being pumped into the engine.
Yup. The 'Yard's welders were powered by a turbine generator from a cancelled cruiser. It ran on stuff so thick it had to be heated to be delivered. A used oil furnace pre heats the waste oil

For the last 120+ years, there have been oil-field engines that run on all sorts of fuels. From Natural Gas to 100% crude oil. It is good to know that the type of crude matters. Some types of crude oil will not run, some will, so this is location specific. The old Blackstone oil engines and modern Arrow engines are examples. These engines are generally designed to be very clean, and produce no smoke or excess emissions.

black-stone-j-p-o-p-type-spares-500x500.jpg

Arrow-Engine-C106.jpg

Back