what does this road sign mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing, simply amazing....
coffee2.gif

It is confusing because it could be interpreted two different ways.
If I had to make a bet/fight in Court, I'd say: Cars, NEVER …. Buses, 7:00 AM to 10:00 AM

It should be shown as:
NO LEFT TURN
------------------------------------
EXCEPT SCHOOL BUSES
7:00 AM TO 10:00 AM

Just adding a simple 'line' may help define better.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
If I had to make a bet/fight in Court, I'd say: Cars, NEVER …. Buses, 7:00 AM to 10:00 AM

It should be shown as:
NO LEFT TURN
EXCEPT SCHOOL BUSES

Good formatting! Gets the point across in as little time as possible.

I'm still holding out that they mean

NO LEFT TURN
EXCEPT SCHOOL BUSES

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
No left turn unless you are a school bus, and it is between 7 and 10 AM.

+1 the first answer and correct; all other answers dismissed!

obviously, the only exception are the government vehicles, and thats how the law functions normally; it is sent to be for wide public but not necessarily for the government and its subsidiaries

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
No left turn unless you are a school bus, and it is between 7 and 10 AM.

+1

As others have said, interpretation is the key. I posted already and am just making another interpretation here... The simple addition of commas can change our clarify this:

No left turn, except school buses, (between) 7am and 10am

Yes, I added 'between' now too.

That would mean, buses can turn left from 7-10. Outside of that time, even buses can't.

I'd guess that all left turns used to be disallowed at one time. For whatever reasons they decided to allow buses to turn left but ONLY during certain hours.

Originally Posted by eljefino

It should be shown as:
NO LEFT TURN
EXCEPT SCHOOL BUSES

Good formatting! Gets the point across in as little time as possible.

I'm still holding out that they mean

NO LEFT TURN
EXCEPT SCHOOL BUSES

Exactly. In a strictly grammatical sense, the sign says left turns may be made only by buses, and only between 7 and 10 AM. Reversing the last 2 lines would unambiguously say that anybody can turn left there outside the restricted hours.

I would be interested to know what the local traffic authorities say about it.

I think the OP question has been answered.

Now, don't get me started on when I pull up to a (4 way) Intersection and I see (3) STOP Signs and (1) Yield Sign.
This is in a Parking Lot with traffic entering from a main road / Yield Sign.
Not only do I have to think it out, I have to hope the other drivers think the same way.
Not the best way to make split-second decisions when driving.

I didn't mean to hijack thread, but that one really annoys me.

Last edited:
Yea some road signs could be better..

A lowes nearby has 3 stop signs.. and nothing in forth direction.. which would normally be incoming...

BUT

At this lowes the outgoing traffic from the store has no stopsign(parking lot to road)

the crossing directions are also both from the parking lot with stopsigns.. and the incoming has a stopsign but its about 30ft farther away... totally wack.. seen a couple accidents there and I'm not even in that area often.

FWIW: That sign is ambiguous.. however I am in the camp of
"no left turn anytime: Exception school buses 7-10am"

Also in same shopping center is a stopsign on an incoming feeder road.. they planted a giant tree 4' in front of it.. so you cant even see it... good going guys... derp.

I read this as: "For cars and trucks (Implied as: 'the General Public') there is NO LEFT TURN allowed ever."

School Buses are allowed (as the ONLY exception) to make a Left Turn here and only between the hours of 7:00AM to 10:00AM.

I think that's how the city attorney would interpret that sign.

Last edited:
It would be clearer if they just left the hours off, so it is clearly no left turn for cars any time. The bus drivers are told what routes to take, so even though the sign allows school buses to turn left any time, they could be ordered directly not to do it in the afternoon.

Last edited:
I think the OP question has been answered.

Now, don't get me started on when I pull up to a (4 way) Intersection and I see (3) STOP Signs and (1) Yield Sign.
This is in a Parking Lot with traffic entering from a main road / Yield Sign.
Not only do I have to think it out, I have to hope the other drivers think the same way.
Not the best way to make split-second decisions when driving.

I didn't mean to hijack thread, but that one really annoys me.

This is done on purpose so those coming into the parking lot can get the heck off the road, and not plug it up. Plus shopping centers look more inviting if there's no traffic heading in. The yield sign may as well be a "go" sign as you still get dimwits who think since everyone else is stopping, they must have to as well.

Originally Posted by mk378
It would be clearer if they just left the hours off, so it is clearly no left turn for cars any time. The bus drivers are told what routes to take, so even though the sign allows school buses to turn left any time, they could be ordered directly not to do it in the afternoon.

This is another brilliant solution!

How about

NO LEFT TURNS, EXCEPT AUTHORIZED VEHICLES.

In Portland we have signs on one-way streets warning that authorized snow removal vehicles could be heading head-on straight at us.

There is a large symbol on the sign. "No left turn." The exception is listed below the symbol.

It depends-if the police are there, then NO LEFT TURN unless you are driving a school bus between 7 & 10 AM. If you're like the drivers around here (who all know their are no officers running any traffic details), then feel free to do any insane maneuver you want! Everybody out of MY WAY!!
lol.gif

It should be shown as:
NO LEFT TURN
EXCEPT SCHOOL BUSES

There is a line, it's implied between the two different, separate signs.

The first sign that is standard and used frequently, "No left turn" Plain and simple-no ambiguities-everyone with a license should know exactly what it means.

The second sign while less common is still perfectly clear. Busses have an exception to the above restriction between certain hours, likely due to student pickup.

Don't want to hijack a thread, but what the heck. I've come across a sign (actually an arrow) that i interpret diffrently then 95% of my fellow motorist and wanting to see how some of you would interpret it as I'm willing to admit I'm wrong and change how I treat it in the future. I made a rough sketch of half of a 4 lane highway (5 if you count the turn lane) in the middle of town. On the section I drawed all traffic is traveling the same direction. Where I have a * the word ONLY is written. Past that is the entrance to the interstate.

My interpretation is the word ONLY is not necessary and the arrow specifies you can only turn in that lane and you must turn onto the intersecting highway if you enter the turn lane prior to the traffic light. If you want to get on the interstate you should wait until after passing the intersection. Most people seem to think that in the section with the arrow without the Only written it is optional whether to turn onto the highway at the traffic light or continue straight through and turn at the interstate.

ECF00CE4-6468-40F2-AA2D-3C691592A173.png

Symbol - No Left turn. This means you.

Words - No left turn. Yup, still you.

Words - Except school buses. I am not a bus. Still can't turn, or I am a bus, but I can turn

Words - 7 am to 10 am. I am not a bus, still can't turn, if I am a bus, I can turn left between 7-10 am only, otherwise I cant.

So no left turn at all.
Unless your a bus.
and only if it is between 7 am and 10 am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back