what does this road sign mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this sign mean that I can turn left outside of 7:00 am to 10:00 am? Does it mean only school buses can turn left during 7:00 am to 10:00 am and no one else can left any other time?

[Linked Image]

This shampoo says it's for dry hair. Is it to cure the dryness or to cure greasiness and make it dry?

But seriously, the sign is to prohibit peons from turning left 7-10. School busses may 24 hours a day. This is to ease congestion in what must be an effective shortcut.

Originally Posted by eljefino
This shampoo says it's for dry hair. Is it to cure the dryness or to cure greasiness and make it dry?

But seriously, the sign is to prohibit peons from turning left 7-10. School busses may 24 hours a day. This is to ease congestion in what must be an effective shortcut.

Yes, it's an effective shortcut. I was turning there and then wondered if I'd get a ticket. I still think it's ambiguous to meaning.

The first sentence states "No left Turn." The only exception is for school buses between 7 and 10 am. If a school bus turns at 12 a.m or p.m. they are in violation. Again, "If you get caught." I can see where it's ambiguous. I just read the sentence structure, as in law books.

Originally Posted by eljefino
But seriously, the sign is to prohibit peons from turning left 7-10. School busses may 24 hours a day.

Regular vehicles are never allowed to turn left here - "No left turn except school buses...". Only school buses are allowed to turn left here.

School buses are only allowed to turn left here between the hours of 7am to 10am.

"No left turn (except school busses) 7-10" or, rephrased "from 7-10 no left turns, except school busses", is my vote, versus

"No left turn (except school busses 7-10)."

Why would they ban it 24/7?

There's a town here that bans right turns onto a 2-way street. If done successfully, it would let the traveller cut through a rich neighborhood and miss a congested light. There's a millimeter of road length you're not allowed to travel on in one direction!

Good place for cops to hang out to "generate revenue".

Originally Posted by Onetor
The first sentence states "No left Turn." The only exception is for school buses between 7 and 10 am. If a school bus turns at 12 a.m or p.m. they are in violation. Again, "If you get caught." I can see where it's ambiguous. I just read the sentence structure, as in law books.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Regular vehicles are never allowed to turn left here - "No left turn except school buses...". Only school buses are allowed to turn left here.

School buses are only allowed to turn left here between the hours of 7am to 10am.

That would be my interpretation too. School buses are probably the only ones allowed to turn left there because they are busy taking kids to school between those hours.

Yes, during the period 7 to 10 AM (presumably morning "peak"), the intersection is closed to turning across the oncoming traffic for all bar school busses.

Prevents you stopping all the traffic behind you while you wait for a gap.

Similar signs and reasons all over the place down the big smoke.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Yes, during the period 7 to 10 AM (presumably morning "peak"), the intersection is closed to turning across the oncoming traffic for all bar school busses.

Prevents you stopping all the traffic behind you while you wait for a gap.

Similar signs and reasons all over the place down the big smoke.

That is correct but the issue is whether or not it's legal for cars to turn left outside the hours of 7:00 am to 10:00 am.

Per my post. In my humble opinion. The first sentence is finite with the following exception. Another words: "No left turn." Only school buses between those hours are provided the exemption. Laws are written by attorneys. There is the letter of the law vs the spirits of the law. I go by the letter of the law in each sentence. That's what i was taught in college and beyond.

Call the City or County Attorney and then the Chief of Police. Their opinions matter. Not ours. In my humble opinion.

All about interpretation and what the presiding judge expects from law enforcement and the city. I have professional experience in these matters. You can always subpoena the Engineer and get their opinion. But, that's if you get a citation. The City Attorneys (not assistant city attorney) do not like to be subpoena in court; especially after the Judge insist.

Most cities/counties are mandated to conduct traffic studies concerning traffic control devices and planning. Always remember there is a paper trail. Also, there is a date on the back of the sign when it was erected. Most municipalities require a 30 day grace period for people/drivers to adjust to new signage etc.

Last edited:
You can turn left there 21 hours out of the day, from 10am to 7am.

Buses can do whatever the [censored] they want.

Originally Posted by Leo99
That is correct but the issue is whether or not it's legal for cars to turn left outside the hours of 7:00 am to 10:00 am.

That's how the order of operations in the instruction reads.

I'm positive that you are safe outside those peak hours.

Busses get an exception, as they have standard routes, so they wouldn't be restricting the busses to limited hours.

That's the worst sign I've ever seen. I have no idea if only school buses can make a left between 7A-10A but all other vehicles can make a left the other 21 hours of the day, or if no vehicles can ever make a left other than school buses those 3 hours.

I was taught that you read the icon of the sign as the definitive and the exceptions either pertain to specific vehicles, hours of availability/operation, or supplementary instruction to do or not do X.

In the case of that sign, I read that left turns are not permitted with the only exception being school buses in the hour range listed. I see similar signs where shortcuts through neighborhoods or bottlenecks/blockages occur due to traffic volume.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
No left turn unless you are a school bus, and it is between 7 and 10 AM.

This was my first impression but now and I'm not so sure. OP you need to call the city and find out just what they want one to do there and let us know.

I would agree. If I were living there, I'd check the bylaws, the town gazette, or whatever relevant legal documents there are on the matter, or avoid turning left there altogether.
wink.gif
The legalese on the books, believe it or not, will probably be clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back