Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
And winter in some places is 20 C.

That's where I would like to be!
smile.gif

I'm just happy that it's 20 celcius (68F) here right now in Toronto! That's pretty amazing for 9am on October 1st. Normal temp at this time of the morning, at this time of the year, would be closer to 10 celcius (50F)

Hehehehe...then don't come up here Patman. Nighttime gets down to a low 10C until around 9AM where it picks up a bit. I'm already feeling that wind chill factor kicking in, but it's still early fall so the chill is only slight.

Regards,

Oz

Actually Oz, I spent most of last week in Montreal and it was nice then! Even late at night we were walking around without jackets on, as it was still 20C! It was a tiny bit chilly in the early mornings, but it warmed up pretty fast. Nice city you got there!
smile.gif

Molakule,

Back in the day didn't people used to use SAE30 in the summer and SAE20 in the winter? Perhaps even SAE10 way way up North (or down south if below the equator like some members).

I'll still stand by the W meaning "Winter" or 'Winter Usage' as opposed to 'weight'.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Actually Oz, I spent most of last week in Montreal and it was nice then! Even late at night we were walking around without jackets on, as it was still 20C! It was a tiny bit chilly in the early mornings, but it warmed up pretty fast. Nice city you got there!
smile.gif

Patman,

You were here in MTL last week, I was in Los Angeles last week. I guess we just happened to miss each other. Would've been nice to have met you.

biggthumbcoffe.gif

Oz

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
"I still don't understand how most 20w50 oils could possibly be rated as "winter oils" "

The're not necessarily winter oils. The rating simply says that the oil flows and protects
like a 20 weight viscosity at 0 F.

This has to be the most persistant and widespread myth in all of lubrication!
wink.gif

What would you say about a 15w-50 oil? Now you're stuck because there's no such thing as a 15 weight oil. According to the link that Ken posted there's no such thing as a 0 weight, 5 weight, 10 weight, or 25 weight oil either. But these are all valid SAE cold temperature designations. So the "w" desgination numbers are arbitrary and have nothing to do with weight.

Finally, a 0w-40 oil, for example, is simultaneously a 5w-40, 10w-40, 15w-40, 20w-40, and 25w-40. By meeting the 0w cold temperature designation it automatically qualifies for the less stringent designations.

pgtr,

"W" stands for the oil's properties at 0 F and agreed, it does not mean weight or viscosity grade.

Next time Oz. I might be up there again a few times, as our twin office is there. It's located just two blocks away from the Queen Elizabeth hotel (which is where I stayed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back