What does the N in 78N mean

Looking for a group 78, unfortunately my Sierra AAP AGM wouldn't start this morning. I'm not giving up on it yet just because it was -30 below this morning and it's the first time it hasn't started in a little over 5 years. So I will hook up my Ctek and go from there but doesn't hurt to look just in case.

Looking at the Wally Maxx the only one they have is a 78N, not sure what the N means, googling finds a couple places say it means North and a couple say it means reserve capacity, anyone know for sure. I see it's the same size as the Super Start 78 at O'Reilly which is the only two choices I have besides Napa for an East Penn and I won't shop at our local Napa.

I bought a 78n from wally mart a bit ago. I don't know for sure what the "N" stands for, but the one I bought was meant to be externally vented as it was an application with the battery under the rear seat. It has little ports on the sides that rubber hoses connected to vent gases outside the car.

After comparing the EverStart Plus 78 to the EvertStart Maxx 78N, the only difference I see is the 78 has 600 CCA and the 78N has 800 CCA. In your region, I would think it's worth the extra $19 bucks for the 78N. (78 is the physical dimentions of the battery, so both will fit the same)

R means reverse, so the terminals are reversed. That one can cause some damage!

I bought a 78n from wally mart a bit ago. I don't know for sure what the "N" stands for, but the one I bought was meant to be externally vented as it was an application with the battery under the rear seat. It has little ports on the sides that rubber hoses connected to vent gases outside the car.
All the Group 78's I looked at appear to have them vents on the sides except the AGM's of course.

N is North. They also sell a 78S for southern areas.

The difference is one has thinner plates than the other.

There's no such thing as a reverse side terminal battery (yet). They are all + on the left as you face the side with the terminals.
Reverse batteries do exist in some sizes, such as 34. There is a 34 and a 34R.

This also exists in size 24, but the reverse 24 is actually called 24F not 24R :unsure:

N is North. They also sell a 78S for southern areas.

The difference is one has thinner plates than the other.

Reverse batteries do exist in some sizes, such as 34. There is a 34 and a 34R.

This also exists in size 24, but the reverse 24 is actually called 24F not 24R :unsure:
I was always under the impression that the F was for fords, as that is all I have ever used the 24F in. But of course it is reversed.

Freverse? :D

A lot of Japanese cars use 24F, often as an upgrade from 35 as part of a "cold weather" package
I suppose it all depends where you need the posts to be for ease of hookup. I think 24F has been around since ford started using 12 volt batteries, and nobody knew what foreign cars used back then.

There's no such thing as a reverse side terminal battery (yet). They are all + on the left as you face the side with the terminals.

I was just tossing it out there as a tidbit of info. Kinda off topic but not completely!

Weaker acid does result in longer life, especially in hot temperatures-- thus the Southern version.

The very large lead-acid batteries used to power phone central office equipment have weak acid and long life. Of course they aren't rated for CCA. People who think that resting voltage is the end-all indicator of battery condition are also not impressed.

Back